Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco DNC Max Error

Jim at Gentex

I know we've had some DNC discussions in the past, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have recently inherited the job of programming an older Fadal VMC 4020 w/ CNC88 control. (early 90's technology! :laughing: )

Anyway I am using the same post as the previous programmer but can't get a new program to run.

We are using an older version of DNC Max from a PC connected to the machine via RS-232 port.

I can send a previous program with no problem and the control accepts it as a DNC (i.e., 'drip-feed') program and goes into 'Waiting' mode as it should.

When I try to send a new program processed with the same post, I get an error: 'Break Count Exceeded'.

The syntax in the program header is identical, yet the machine will accept the one program but not the other.

This is maddening to say the least!  :wallbash:

Anyone have a clue as to what might be happening here?

Break count exceeded; data is being sent back from the control while sending.

Are you going into manual and pressing DNC enter, then sending?

The Fadals are always listening to the come port, so if the first line in the code is DNC and the file is sent from Cimco when sitting in Manual at the Machine "Enter Next Command".

The machine will immediately go into DNC.

HTH

Allan

Thanks, Allan.

With the 'Enter Next Command' prompt on the control screen, I go to DNC Max and simply click on File > Send > file.nc.

The older file queues into the control as it should and triggers the 'Waiting' mode for DNC program execution.

Using the same procedure, the newer file from the same post gives me the 'Break Count Exceeded' error and the control goes back to the 'Enter Next Command' mode.

I was thinking it was a syntax error, but the program headings have the exact same syntax generated from the same post.

I did discover that if I use the TA,1 command from the control, it will accept the newer program into on-board memory.

So now I'm thinking it's the SIZE of the file that triggers the error rather than the syntax.

Is it possible the control won't accept it as a DNC file because it is not large enough to fill the memory buffer?

Anyway I can run the program from on-board memory, so the job can be done.

But I'm still curious as to what triggers that error.

I'm going to write a new test surface finish program with the same post that will be a larger NC file to see if the control accepts that in DNC mode.

The fadal needs to know it is drip feeding or if it is loading DNC max does not default to Drip feeding but to load. is your program big enough to fit in the control?

(Is it possible the control won't accept it as a DNC file because it is not large enough to fill the memory buffer?) no this should not be an issue.

Jay,

Thanks for your response.

I have two different programs.

One is a short drilling program with only about 15 lines or so.

The second is a longer drill & mill program with maybe 1500 lines.

The first will NOT run as a DNC, but the second will.

The short program will fit into the on-board control memory if I send it to the control with the TA,1 command.

The long program runs in DNC mode if I just select File > Send > file.nc in DNC Max with only the 'Enter Next Command' displayed on the control screen.

I'm stumped as to why one program will DNC and the other won't.

DNC for most of means drip feeding the first one cannot drip feed but has to be loaded. Like you say TA,1 loads to the machine control DNC, dripp feeds and there needs to be enough to load the buffer and keep the door open to the computer to feed more.

what version of DNC max are you running.

Yeah that's what I said earlier about the buffer not being full.

I thought if it was a smallish program it may not run in DNC mode.

I was wondering if that is what causes the error.

I think our DNC Max is v.4 but I'm not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

:bump:

OK I've narrowed it down to a permission issue rather than some problem with the .nc files, post, machine def, etc.

I took a .nc file that does work, opened the original Mastercam file, re-posted the same toolpaths to get an identical .nc file.

The original .nc file will drip feed to the control as it should, but the new one won't.

The two .nc files are identical except for the (date / time) block, which is ignored by the control anyway since it is parenthetical.

They are in the same directory as well.

I found the 'Directories' tab in the Cimco DNC Max settings menu and made sure the source directory is correct, but it still doesn't work.

Is there some other setting I am missing?

• 2 years later...