Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Port Milling Tools

I have two different ports to create that I would normally plunge with a standard port tool in softer materials. I now have to create a SAE-6 port and SAE J1926-4 port in some 17-4SS. Does anyone know where to get tools to circle mill these ports? Essentially go in and rough the hole with a 3D pocket roughing toolpath and then circle mill the finished walls.

Any ideas?

TK

Are you thinking circle milling would be bad because of the slight mismatch at the lead in and lead out overlap?

Nope I am thinking the port shape is designed to be made with a from tool. Trying to hit all the angles and sizes perfect will be very hard to do. With the right speeds and feeds can port with a good tool very good with very little problems. Start circle milling you are adding a lot of wear side ways and not to many tools I know made to preform that way. Insert or carbide drill the minor, rest mill the shape, then run the port tool and be done with it. Ports if they fail become your problem. Last thing I want to do if vary from proven industry processes to manufacture features that a very critical in most applications.

HTH

• Like 1

+1 to what 5th Axis said. Getting port cutters to cut good AND have long life is more of having the right process than the right tool. I've ported 17-4ss using standard HSS port tools and had them come out with mirror finish. We've even tried fancy indexable-carbide port tools and they did not work as well as an HSS using a good process. We even port SAE-24 in 316ss all day with no problems using an HSS cutter.

I always rough drill with an Iscar Sumocham, helix bore to -.005 -.010 under the final thread diameter, and circle mill the pilot and flats. Clean up with the port tool, making sure you have very good lubrication.

Guest MTB Technical Services

FWIW,

There is a collection of nearly every hydraulic port used today on the FTP site.

I did each one as an individual file back in the days of X2 but they'll all work.

I also included all the custom porting tools for each.

THe tools are in the Tools section and the ports are in the unspecified uploads.

Just adjust speeds and feeds for your material.

• Like 1

Well I'll be damned. That's the wealth of info I was looking for. Thanks all.

You bet.

The nice thing about this method is that you can import everything and place it whereever you need it.

The most you should have to do on any SAE Port is adjust your connecting hole depth.

Hi TK,

The most important aspect of a "Port", is exactly what the other guys have said. They are mostly used for making a pressure tight seal, typically for hydraulic fluid. The bores being concentric, having a good finish, and having the "seats" or angled faces at the exact correct height, in relation to all the other faces and bores is what makes the port work. Just drill and semi-finish close to the bore walls and faces like Ron mentioned, and dial in the drill cycle to cut the port. Normally I use the bore cycle (feed in/feed out), with a short dwell at the bottom. Lots of coolant, and speeds and feeds on the lower side. Then come back and Thread Mill the threads. (or Tap, but I try to Thread Mill wherever possible.)

-Colin

SInce most SAE/SUN Ports only require a facing depth of about 1/16' or less,

in most materials there is no need to rough mill the seal face area.

As long as you rough in the main bore, the Port Reamer itself will give you a 32 finish or better on the seal face.

Just make sure that you have a dwell in the drill cycle.

Of couse, using a quality Port tool is paramount.

Parker, Sun, Wandfluh all provide quality port tooling kits for their cartridges.

Depending upong the material, I have also done a rough drill cycle to bring the depth within 0.005 and then another to finish.

I've only had to do this on the harder materials that were being used for sub-sea applications.

Whatever method you find works best for you, these files will definitely save you time.