Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining a boss on a cylindrical face

Snake0787

Hello everyone,

I rarely post on the forum but I have been an active member reading the posts on this forum ever since I began using mastercam. I am amazed by the knowledge and support that is provided through here and I was hoping I could get some feedback from people on the field. 

I recently got assigned to develop a  solution for machining a boss on a cylindrical face. The material for the application will be titanium and I will be looking at bosses that are commonly found in landing gear components for the aerospace industry. 

I know that there are many factors involved in the successful machining of this feature on any given component (machine type, tool type, fixturing, etc...)  but I was hoping people out in the field can give me some insight on what has worked for them when approaching/machining this feature on a cylindrical component. 

Type of techniques? tool paths used? and anything to watch out for when applying any of the methods.

Any insight or comments on this topic are greatly appreciated! 

Once again thank you for taking the time to read this and for any comments provided. 

For this test it will be run a multi-task machine and It will be cylindrical stock  preped  on a lathe. Then I will  try different types of techniques(feeds, speeds, tools, etc)

by playing with different types of bosses.

At the end I hope to have develop a good understanding on how to tackle this particular feature. Concepts learned from this could essentially be applied to a production

environment where the component may be a forging with a rough boss already in place.  

Over the years of doing this I have ran across many parts that have features like you are mentioning here. The best and easiest approach I have found is to treat it like a 2d feature. In all reality the boss itself is the easy part of the equation it is the cylinder that it is on that is the real work. I have approached in many different way and those ways might be a thing of the past with all the new features and abilities in X8 and the upcoming X9. I was giving a impeller to quote last week and when I asked can I get the model to quote it I was given well it is kind of like that print we sent you. I told them I would be glad to program it for $1 Million. They were shocked by my quote and I told them well I deal with reality and in reality I quote what I am really making and when I need to break out my pixie dust I need to make sure I put enough of a buffer in there to cover any engineers fantasy. They said they would get me the real print and model. Point is we can theorize all day long, but to give you the best answer give us something real to help you with. Without that we can go back and forth all day and never really help you narrow it down to a good process.

If you have been lurking around here and much as you say then you know I am telling it like it is and not meaning to be disrespectful in any shape form or fashion. :)

• Like 1

:laughing: I don't have a specific part that I am working on, and some of the models that I have are ITAR so I would not be able to share them. I just want to overlay different boss features on a cylindrical surface of titanium and find a common way to approach the feature no matter what shape it is. For example if we look at a rectangular boss with a throu-hole in the middle some would say that drilling that hole is no good because it is exerting too much force on the face of that material and if the inner portion of it has already been machined then we might some problems. A way to go about it may be to take a round insert cutter and helical ramp down the boss and open the hole that way and come back with a endmill and finish. 

I am basically looking for input on a way to tackle this feature from rough to finish on titanium. 

- to remove scale what cutter type etc has worked best for you? (tool path name, recommended feeds of the top of your head,  anything to watch out for?)

- to rough out majority of the material what have you done? (tun-mill?, multi-axis roughing?)

- what have you done first, second... last

-how do approach blend points..

I have tons of questions and every scenario could be different and yea we could theorize all day. Manufacturing is one complex equation with infinite variables

If you had someone new with no experience and they were tackling a feature like this what advise would you give them?

Thank you for all the help  :D

post-44362-0-02414600-1422303925_thumb.jpg

If you had someone new with no experience and they were tackling a feature like this what advise would you give them?

My advise would be look at it as a regular 2d feature. Yes your approach as far as blending it to the cylindrical feature is more complex but everything else is a basic 2d feature. No need to over think it and make it harder than it is. As for the blending goes do you have the Multi-axis addon or only a level 3? Either will get the job done honestly.