Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RODERS

HEAVY METAL

We are looking at a Roders machine for high spped milling and the salesmen said we couldn't use Mastecam to program. We woulld have to step up tp a different software.  Is this just a line of crap. Is anyone out there running these machines. Type of work we would be doing   is small cavity work with .02 to 03 or smaller endmills? EDM finish is not good enough anymore.

Thanks

Could you use Mastercam? I don't see why not. But would it be a good match for that machine? NO.

If you are going to buy a real machine I'd buy real software for it.

Sticky I say you are full of it. No I don't dislike you, but find it funny I can do work with Mastercam that CATIA, NX and other CAM Software struggle with yet you slam it. You hate Mastercam's 4th Axis abilities okay, but I was making molds with Mastercam for many years and could drive the machines with no problem.

In your expert opinion having programming so many more machines than all of the rest of us and used so many more vast superior softwares. What is the best Software to drive that machine? How much does it cost in percentage higher or lower than Mastercam? Please re mind us again what level of Mastercam you are using to make this very informed comment?

Again please do not take it as a personal attack, but I have customers that come to this board. Comments like this seem to creep their way in my direction. When people make uninformed comments like this that can make it harder for me to get work so again you got what you could afford to get the job done so how about you apply some of your own logic to your company? You didn't because as much as you say it sucks it does allow you to keep your business running correct?

• Like 2

Have 2 Roders here - 1 for graphite - 1 for hardmilling.  90% of the programming for them comes from Mastercam (other 10% from NX).

I use cutter comp for finishing round and square pockets.  It can be done but sometimes the control doesn't like the code (and for no reason).  For such a high end machine it cannot comp a helix movement like a Fanuc - so no 2D contour RAMP or helix bore programs.

Sticky I say you are full of it. No I don't dislike you, but find it funny I can do work with Mastercam that CATIA, NX and other CAM Software struggle with yet you slam it. You hate Mastercam's 4th Axis abilities okay, but I was making molds with Mastercam for many years and could drive the machines with no problem.

In your expert opinion having programming so many more machines than all of the rest of us and used so many more vast superior softwares. What is the best Software to drive that machine? How much does it cost in percentage higher or lower than Mastercam? Please re mind us again what level of Mastercam you are using to make this very informed comment?

Again please do not take it as a personal attack, but I have customers that come to this board. Comments like this seem to creep their way in my direction. When people make uninformed comments like this that can make it harder for me to get work so again you got what you could afford to get the job done so how about you apply some of your own logic to your company? You didn't because as much as you say it sucks it does allow you to keep your business running correct?

Hypermill, it costs less then Mastercam, and is better for surfacing and 5 axis work. Most of the mold guys I deal with that aren't doing 5 axis are using Tebis, NX and WorkNC.

Yes you can drive one of these machines with Mastercam, as I stated in my first post (would it kill you guys to just read the whole post and not get so emotional?).

Roders is a really high end machine, this isn't just a normal high end machine like a Matsuura or Makino.

You can make molds with a Haas and OneCNC, and probably good enough for a lot of applications.

All I am suggesting if that you look into something more efficient and higher quality to match the level of machine you are buying.

Hypermill, it costs less then Mastercam, and is better for surfacing and 5 axis work. Most of the mold guys I deal with that aren't doing 5 axis are using Tebis, NX and WorkNC.

Yes you can drive one of these machines with Mastercam, as I stated in my first post (would it kill you guys to just read the whole post and not get so emotional?).

Roders is a really high end machine, this isn't just a normal high end machine like a Matsuura or Makino.

You can make molds with a Haas and OneCNC, and probably good enough for a lot of applications.

All I am suggesting if that you look into something more efficient and higher quality to match the level of machine you are buying.

I did read it and called you on it.

Person who I have a high regard so put Hyper mill at almost 2 times the price of Mastercam. They just bought it in the last year. They still preferred Mastercam for 5 axis toolpaths the last time we talked.

NX is about 1.5 Times the cost of Mastercam. Yes it is a good software.

I have no clue about the price of Tebis and the GUI on it looks extremely dated, but have heard very good comments about it's abilities.

Work NC I have no clue about. You can buy me a seat and I will be glad to let you know J/K.

There you go again lumping people into having abilities like yourself with that HAAS and OneCNC comment. :help: :help:

Oh well guess if that is all you know to do you work with what you got huh? :laughing: :laughing:

Not having ever seen a Roders, I'm kinda curious what makes it a super duper high level machine, as opposed to "just" a high level machine ala Makino. Serious question. Are there super functions? Accuracies beyond our micron accuracies on our Makinos? Or other reasons why it would be superior?

Also, what makes their control so complicated I couldn't efficiently use Mastercam?

• Like 1

I did read it and called you on it.

Person who I have a high regard so put Hyper mill at almost 2 times the price of Mastercam. They just bought it in the last year. They still preferred Mastercam for 5 axis toolpaths the last time we talked.

NX is about 1.5 Times the cost of Mastercam. Yes it is a good software.

I have no clue about the price of Tebis and the GUI on it looks extremely dated, but have heard very good comments about it's abilities.

Work NC I have no clue about. You can buy me a seat and I will be glad to let you know J/K.

There you go again lumping people into having abilities like yourself with that HAAS and OneCNC comment. :help: :help:

Oh well guess if that is all you know to do you work with what you got huh? :laughing: :laughing:

Called me on what?

I did forget that Mastercam is 50% cheaper in the states. I was basing my pricing off Canada MC pricing. MC is one of the most expensive systems you can buy in Canada. NX, WorkNC, Topsolid, Tebis and Hypermill are all less expensive then MC here.

I don't understand what you think I meant by the Haas and Onecnc comment, but let me re explain for you. Just because something CAN work, doesn't mean it is optimal, eve if it does get the job done.

CAN you put regular fuel in a Lamborghini? Yes. Is it optimal? Absolutely not.

Not having ever seen a Roders, I'm kinda curious what makes it a super duper high level machine, as opposed to "just" a high level machine ala Makino. Serious question. Are there super functions? Accuracies beyond our micron accuracies on our Makinos? Or other reasons why it would be superior?

Also, what makes their control so complicated I couldn't efficiently use Mastercam?

Roders:

It's more about being able to use a software that is faster to program, and is more reliable to help match the output of the machine.

What's so special about that machine? Break it down its a table - table 5-axis vertical. You could easily program everything in that video with Mastercam. I guess I don't see your point about needing a better software. Besides better is very subjective. I once had a programmer tell me Cam-tool was a better software, if you have ever seen it you would understand why I didn't think much of it.

Have 2 Roders here - 1 for graphite - 1 for hardmilling.  90% of the programming for them comes from Mastercam (other 10% from NX).

I use cutter comp for finishing round and square pockets.  It can be done but sometimes the control doesn't like the code (and for no reason). .

So is it MC or NX posting that the machine hangs on random code?

I've had it happen on other high end CNCs. Too bad Fadal applications engineers are so hard to get a hold of.

I program using HyperMill every day and to me MasterCam does not come close to comparing to it. I used to beta test for MasterCam and used it for the first 10 years I was in the business starting with Version 9.   

The main reason, STABILITY!!!!  When I programmed in MasterCam I would deal with the software crashing on me daily.  It was constantly locking up, forcing shut downs and causing me to loose work and spend extra time programming because of this reason. 

For the work I do now, which is all 5 axis (both 3+2 and full 5 axis) HyperMill works very well.  It is on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.  The tool collision monitoring and checking in HyperMill is top notch as well. 

Sure there are things I wish it would do that MasterCam would do and vice versa, but there will never be one single software out there that will do everything you need the exact way you want it to be done.  

• Like 3

Hypermill is excellent for true 5 axis machining, but I know one of the local trainers. Hypermill is like $40k with SW. Full blown MCAM is much less than that.