Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Turret mounted live center on Turn/Mill machines.

PAnderson

This topic has as much to do with finding a way to program this as it has to do with finding a post to do it with. Bear with me here for a second. I work for Doosan Infracore and I use Mastercam to program with. I just started using machine simulation a couple of weeks ago after CNC Software provided us with .machine files for our MX Series of Mill/Turn machines. I have to say, what a sweet setup this is if you spend the time to figure it out. Not easy, or is it just me? LOL

But, a couple of things are missing and I am sure we are not the only ones doing it. We do quite a few jobs and demos where we need to mount a live center on the turret to support the part while the upper spindle machines the part. The right hand spindle will be picking the part off later so I can't use that as a live center. My question is: Does anyone else do this and are there operations in MX8 that support this? Also, CNC Software did a very good job implementing their new posts/.machine file but did not support something like this. Or am I just missing something? I am asking here because of the wide user base and I will be placing a call to Mastercam also. I know for a fact that a lot of people here use Mastercam in ways that Mastercam never even thought of.

Any ideas?

Paul

Not Supported as far as I know and what I have done is draw a custom tool to represent my Live Center in the other turret or my Steady Rest and just used Point Toolpaths to make the code give me the output I am looking for. No it will not stay parked in the simulation for those operations or the toolpaths, but it will give you a general idea for coding and checking purposes.

Might also reach out to Tim from MTB who helped CNC with the development for the Doosan Machines. He might be able to give you some good insight as well.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was going to be the answer and that's OK. This is one of those things someone may not have thought of. I am working with Chris Kozell from CNC but thought I would try here also. Haven't heard back from Chris yet though. I am trying to justify using this for customer demos and would love to see 100% true visualization.

Thanks again,

It sucks having a Reseller/Dealer license. We don't have a dealer or we are the dealer or we're not sure which from day to day. Actually, Mastercam is our dealer. :smoke:

You don't have a dealer? And deal direct with CNC Software? You are a dealer?

Ok, well you have a different arrangement to most. At least you can deal direct :)

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was going to be the answer and that's OK. This is one of those things someone may not have thought of. I am working with Chris Kozell from CNC but thought I would try here also. Haven't heard back from Chris yet though. I am trying to justify using this for customer demos and would love to see 100% true visualization.

Thanks again,

Chris is tops in my book, but I did help work on development and these types of items are in the works, but MT is a massive undertaking and things like this are not after thoughts. Use what you got to get the job done and then you adjust from there.

• Like 1
Guest MTB Technical Services

Not Supported as far as I know and what I have done is draw a custom tool to represent my Live Center in the other turret or my Steady Rest and just used Point Toolpaths to make the code give me the output I am looking for. No it will not stay parked in the simulation for those operations or the toolpaths, but it will give you a general idea for coding and checking purposes.

Might also reach out to Tim from MTB who helped CNC with the development for the Doosan Machines. He might be able to give you some good insight as well.

Paul,

During my involvement with MT, Tailstock, Steady Rest and Turret loaded Rests and Centers weren't on the table.

They were planned for but the initial focus was getting the base machines working properly and handling part transfers.

The way I did is just as Ron described.

You define a Live Center as a Custom Tool and then use a point toolpath.

You can then Sync it with the Wait Codes.

GIve my best to Bob A., Jaime O. and Paul S.