Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X8 processing slow

harishkumarchandra

Issue:  Mastercam X8 processing slow

the problems are, while opening a part file (103MB size), Mastercam X8 takes about 4 to 5 mins to open the file, and once it was opened, zoom in, zoom out, spinning or rotating the model had not smooth transitions, The computer stopped responding and after a sometime, it started processing. It was difficult to work with the model and while simulating the tool path ( verify option ), again it took longer time to process, and when precision was increased, it took more than 6 mins to process.

Their system configurations are

Processor : i7

Ram : 8GB, 16GB

Graphics : Quadro K620 ( 2GB )

Operating system : Windows7 64Bit

-          Reinstalled the OS, and Re-installed the software, still X8 works the same, processing very slow.

-          Increased the virtual memory,

-          Configuration, disable hardware acceleration is unchecked.

·         how to make mastercam X8 utilise the full potential of the CPU and GPU., and open the files faster ? and process the files faster.?

please give some solution 

Hardware acceleration should not be unchecked

In verify turn your resolution down, use accurate zoom to check areas that you need 

Also, If you're working on a network, try bringing the file local and seeing if the behavior is different

I have also had complex solid models that I would change to surfaces and dump the solid model

I'm working on a file a little larger than that right now. I can open it in about 30 seconds with my laptop. I would look at cleaning up your system, delete and un-needed files, clean your regestry and basically any other basic computer maintenance you can think of. Next when you save your file at the end of the day turn all levels off and only leave something simple on the screen, that way you don't have to process a lot of graphics when you initially open the file. I have worked on files that would take 30 minutes at times to open, any little thing will help. With your verify how many operations are  you trying to verify at a time? One thing I do is break my verify up into groups. Start with the roughing and save the results out as an STL file, than use that STL file as your stock for the finishing. What types of operations? The more operations and the more complex operations can really add to the time it takes to verify. 6 minutes doesn't sound to unreasonable for a file that size if you ask me.

The video card is the lowest of the quadro more like a office workstation card. I would like to see at lest a Quadro 2000D or higher. I am figureing that there are not a lot paths mostly Cad data when moving around?

I am like been have files bigger then that and opening them accros my network from the server and alwas taks less then 1 min for few hundred megs.

Also you say you have 8 gigs and 16gbs.

Issue:  Mastercam X8 processing slow

the problems are, while opening a part file (103MB size), Mastercam X8 takes about 4 to 5 mins to open the file, and once it was opened, zoom in, zoom out, spinning or rotating the model had not smooth transitions, The computer stopped responding and after a sometime, it started processing. It was difficult to work with the model and while simulating the tool path ( verify option ), again it took longer time to process, and when precision was increased, it took more than 6 mins to process.

Their system configurations are

Processor : i7

Ram : 8GB, 16GB

Graphics : Quadro K620 ( 2GB )

Operating system : Windows7 64Bit

-          Reinstalled the OS, and Re-installed the software, still X8 works the same, processing very slow.

-          Increased the virtual memory,

-          Configuration, disable hardware acceleration is unchecked.

·         how to make mastercam X8 utilise the full potential of the CPU and GPU., and open the files faster ? and process the files faster.?

please give some solution 

Get a better computer in my humble opinion. That would be bare minimal to use with Mastercam. Doing simple 2D stuff drilling holes cutting 3D shapes then that is a good computer. Digging in and doing some really hard core stuff not even close.

Not all I7 processors are created equal. I have the I7 3820QM in mine and I don't have near the issues you are talking about and I'm working on larger files. We would need to know what specific processor you have to determine if that is your bottleneck. The one main advantage I have over your system is the video card, I have the Quadro K3000m. The K600 is an entry level card not really intended for complex models. As far as your verify goes again we would need to know how many operations and what types of operations you are verifying to determine if the times you are getting is the same as what we are seeing.

At my work, we could not get nVidia quadro cards to perform correctly. I'm not sure what model the cards were but I know they were $600 a piece. My pc had choppy graphics, others peoples would crash when they opened mastercam. We ended up returning the cards and just getting cheaper ATI gaming cards and they work great.

Hardware acceleration should not be unchecked

In verify turn your resolution down, use accurate zoom to check areas that you need 

Also, If you're working on a network, try bringing the file local and seeing if the behavior is different

I have also had complex solid models that I would change to surfaces and dump the solid model

Screen shot please of the page with " Hardware acceleration should not be unchecked "

Hi,

We too are experiencing extremely regular crash problems. This is 4 workstations all running X8.

Often when they are idle, they are still showing 25%CPU usage on the task manager. This goes up to 90-95% when programming, especially rest roughing programs.

Crashing regularly occurs during verify, even with very small file sizes. But mainly when programming 3D form (working on aluminium mould tools).

The Workstation Specs are:

Dell Optiplex 7010

Intel i5 - [email protected]

16GB ram

Win 7 64bit

AMD Radeon HD 7470

Initial trouble shooting has confirmed graphics cards are at latest drivers and some log me in software running on a couple of teh workstations has been disabled(but the problem existing on those without too).

We've run the benchmarking test found elsewhere in the forum and had that running at 5.5 minutes(verified by stopwatch), which i think was ok by what others have been achieving.

Any ideas?

While the graphics card is not an Nvidia Quadro.......Our computer support company believe that it is suitable for the job.

Cheers,

Ste

As far as I was told the workstations were spec'd based on phone calls to MasterCam.

While I am certainly not calling anyone a liar, I am hard pressed to believe that any reseller or anyone at CNC would say that card was "good"

You look at the X8 spec's they specifically recommend nVidia

Right from their website

Video

When purchasing a new computer for Mastercam, one of the most important areas is the video card.

We recommend an NVIDIA Quadro card with at least 512 MB of memory. Other graphics cards can be used, but they must offer full OpenGL 3.0 support (typically manufactured by AMD/ATI). We have seen some issues using AMD/ATI Radeon graphics cards.

We do not recommend or support the use of onboard graphics found with some PC configurations. These do not generally have the capability to drive graphics intensive applications such as Mastercam.

Make sure you are using up to date drivers from your card manufacturer. We often see issues that are resolved with updated video drivers and the driver version can have a great impact on how the card performs.

The latest drivers for NVIDIA and ATI/AMD can be found at the inline links. We recommend using the automatic detect feature to detect which video card is installed.

- See more at: http://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Support/System-Requirements#sthash.NxninHGV.dpuf

http://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Support/System-Requirements

But I did call them idiots and I stand by that   :D

• 2 weeks later...