Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool and holder runs through entire part when simulating 4-axis

mmoya

I was hoping someone could help with this problem...

I am trying to simulate toolpaths on X8 for 4-axis (rotary axis positioning.) However, when I run the sim, at the point which the part should rotate 180 degrees, mastercams simulator bottoms out the cutter/holder, which "collides" with the stock and workpiece before flipping over to machine the other side.

Its not that the toolpath is causing this, but something in MCAMs simulator instead of retracting the tool 2" it just plunges.

It's not just this part, either. Every time I've tried this, the same thing happens... I have my MD set up, NC output is fine, its JUST in simulation or verification.

Anyone had this problem? Seems to me like either a setting or maybe (hopefully not) just how MCAM interperets the retract and rotation for simulation.

I attached a screenshot of the end result of the sim..

post-55688-0-39260100-1425081196_thumb.png

This is something that could be fixed that would make me happy......

Having backplot and verify process rotary moves........many times when a tool gets to an end point on one angle and the next tool starts on a different plane, the tool rapids right the part.....I usually post that tool and make sure the rotations are correct but certainly would be nice to actually process the rotary motion.

I will say I am surprised with the new backplot and verify that they are still not showing the part rotation but still the tool rotating

Also I have noticed that axis sub drilling is not synced with posted values. Drills at A0, but verify shows it 90 degrees off. Not an issue if the hole pattern goes all the way around a cylinder and no other features hinder the 90 degree spacing. Recently I used it to put two holes that were not symmetrically spaced with regard to rotation, posted correctly but verify had it off. 

when I run the sim, at the point which the part should rotate 180 degrees, mastercams simulator bottoms out the cutter/holder, which "collides" with the stock and workpiece before flipping over to machine the other side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also I have noticed that axis sub drilling is not synced with posted values

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All this issues with rotary and axies substitution I ve seen at least from verX2.

I have reported to my dealer

And they are noted as bugs.

Simple code reading helps to reveal they are false alarms

HTH

nah this has been going on for so long I just started using a workaround to get it functional again saving a stock model or stl before each and every rotation and only check the toolpaths after that stock model.

This is something that could be fixed that would make me happy......

Having backplot and verify process rotary moves........many times when a tool gets to an end point on one angle and the next tool starts on a different plane, the tool rapids right the part.....I usually post that tool and make sure the rotations are correct but certainly would be nice to actually process the rotary motion.

I will say I am surprised with the new backplot and verify that they are still not showing the part rotation but still the tool rotating

X1million

Looks like you lads are suffering from your control def not being set to match your machine.  I'd take a look at this thread and make sure that you have it set up right:

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/75105-how-to-address-dog-leg-rapids-in-the-x7-verify-or-why-does-verify-show-gouges-that-arent-there/

As for verification rotating the part vs. the tool, change your focus instead of focusing on the workpiece, focus on the tool.  That will keep the tool vertical and rotate the workpiece instead:

post-12334-0-13785100-1425407121_thumb.jpg

Looks like you lads are suffering from your control def not being set to match your machine.  I'd take a look at this thread and make sure that you have it set up right:

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/75105-how-to-address-dog-leg-rapids-in-the-x7-verify-or-why-does-verify-show-gouges-that-arent-there/

As for verification rotating the part vs. the tool, change your focus instead of focusing on the workpiece, focus on the tool.  That will keep the tool vertical and rotate the workpiece instead:

There you go again pointing out what the software can do. :laughing: :laughing:

While that does prevent the tool from going straight through the tombstone it doesn't really rotate the tombstone as you would see it in a machine environment. Setting the focus to "tool" gets kind of nauseating with the tombstone flipping around all over the place.

It does fix positioning between most all rotations, but seems to still have hiccups when positioning between two rotary 4-axis toolpaths.

nah this has been going on for so long I just started using a workaround to get it functional again saving a stock model or stl before each and every rotation and only check the toolpaths after that stock model.

That sounds horrible. What do you do if you have 6 or 7 rotary positions with a stock file for each and have to go back to change something in the beginning of the program? re-sim and save all those stock models again? I'd rather put my head through the monitor.

Holy guacamole, so the post in that thread mentions the rapid movement setting in the CD, I set it to "All axes arrive at destination simultaneously" and it fixed it! It still doesn't show the rotary movement, it sort-of just cuts to the next angle, but  99% of the time i have focus set to "part" since we don't actually have a machine model that represents our HAAS - at all. Matter o'fact the model for the 4x rotary in simulation is on the opposite side of the table... never was able to fix that....

5th axis consulting was nice enough to post a rotary machine sim file, with the table on the right side.

I will have to look at the rapid settings in my control defs. 

edit, I don't see why this would even matter if the tool retract is in the line before the rotary move.