Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Mastercam user needs help surfacing

Frunple

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by "surface one part"?  Are you wanting to close your part with surfs or toolpath the surfs you already have?

I see already you'll want to flip the surf normals so they all match EDIT > CHANGE NORMAL.  

Toggle Alt+S until your surfs look like a mesh. If you rotate your part around, you'll see that there is a grayish side to one side of each surf.  Use the change normal function until the green sides all point out.  This will save you headaches down the road.

If you are wanting to put a top and bottom surf on it, there is not a simple answer I can give right now.  I'll play with it and see what works best.

I see already you'll want to flip the surf normals so they all match EDIT > CHANGE NORMAL.  

Toggle Alt+S until your surfs look like a mesh. If you rotate your part around, you'll see that there is a grayish side to one side of each surf.  Use the change normal function until the green sides all point out.  This will save you headaches down the road.

Not sure what the big deal is with surface normals. I've NEVER paid attention to surface normals in over 10 years unless it was the rare occasion that I used the flowline toolpath. Never had a problem. What am I missing?

To create the top surface you will need to create a chain to revolve and than trim to surface. But first you need to look at the the sharp corner, the way it is drawn the two arcs cross over each other. That will cause you a lot of headaches trying to create the top surface. 

post-20840-0-33402200-1425252333_thumb.png

post-20840-0-12933300-1425252341_thumb.png

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by "surface one part"?  Are you wanting to close your part with surfs or toolpath the surfs you already have?

If you are wanting to put a top and bottom surf on it, there is not a simple answer I can give right now.  I'll play with it and see what works best.

Yes, a top and bottom.

Not sure why the surface direction would matter but ok, easy enough to change.

To create the top surface you will need to create a chain to revolve and than trim to surface. But first you need to look at the the sharp corner, the way it is drawn the two arcs cross over each other. That will cause you a lot of headaches trying to create the top surface. 

Can you explain the "chain to revolve"?

Actually, they don't cross over, they are on different z depths so it looks like they cross but they aren't.

Would there be an easier way to get the "knife edge" on this?? I was thinking of starting with an .75" extruded piece, and them trimming it to get the edges. Is that possible?

Can you explain the "chain to revolve"?

Actually, they don't cross over, they are on different z depths so it looks like they cross but they aren't.

Would there be an easier way to get the "knife edge" on this?? I was thinking of starting with an .75" extruded piece, and them trimming it to get the edges. Is that possible?

Create the profile of the top surface in the front view and use "create revolved surface". Than you can trim it.

As for the knife edge they certainly do cross and that is going to cause you issues. Tomorrow I will put together a step by step of how I would create this using surfaces. 

post-20840-0-12492100-1425261533_thumb.png

When creating geometry, starting off on the right foot is the most important thing.

Since you are the designer, you have control to make your geometry as difficult or as simple as you feel necessary.

A couple of the most important factors in building parts is tangency....try to make your base geometry with tangent entities...like BenK says...dont let them cross...

Another thing is to use large shapes.

On your part I would make a flying saucer/discus entity first. if you revolve it, you will end up with surfaces on all sides...this is a good thing...

Then you can create some vertical surfaces to intersect those that extend through the part and trim them together.

You could do like you did, build the top surfaces separately, and you will see that you got unfavorable results. But creating them all at once gives  a better result and smoother surfaces.

Since you have a  center area that is not concentric it cannot be revolved so that area has to be made as a separate entity.

If you make a separate 3-d part and put radii on all the corners and trim them all together, you will be able to blend that object and the saucer with large fillet radii that will blend in nicely...the cutouts would be done after the saucer and center boss are merged and trimmed.

Then take care when you draw your cutout wires with the rounds...make sure they are tangent.

I could do it for you but you wouldn't learn anything...

• Like 2

Today I made the whole thing out of an extruded solid.

In the attached, the green is the solid, the purple is the surface I want to be the top and bottoms.

Is there a way to "cut" away the part of the solid that are "outside" of the surfaces?

I tried the solid/trim but that didn't work. Any other commands to do this?

post-59891-0-64682300-1425322567_thumb.png