Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Back plot time vs machine runtime

Looking for some input on this one

I have a part, Mastercam back plot time is 2 hr 15 min......actual machine run time 4 hrs

There is very little drilling on this, 5 holes, so I know I am not losing it in the pecking

I am running the almost exclusively on all paths G131 R0 we are not even coming close to max programmed feed rates on this baby

Because of what this file is I can't share it but any ideas on what I might look to on the machine itself

Matsuura MAM72 30i controller

To really blow your mind. I have seen the opposite as well. Where the run time on the machine was faster than what Mastercam said it would be. Only a few times, but enough that I tell anyone get a stop watch and go time it on the machine. Once the tool is done and it has cut the part at 100% rapid and 100% feed rate then and only then can I tell you with 100% accuracy what the run time is going to be.

Looking for some input on this one

I have a part, Mastercam back plot time is 2 hr 15 min......actual machine run time 4 hrs

There is very little drilling on this, 5 holes, so I know I am not losing it in the pecking

I am running the almost exclusively on all paths G131 R0 we are not even coming close to max programmed feed rates on this baby

Because of what this file is I can't share it but any ideas on what I might look to on the machine itself

Matsuura MAM72 30i controller

Always a crap shoot for all my mold components. unless it is dead simple

I add, to the times,  35% for complex

John, do you ever see the buffer on the controller bog down when drip feeding?

John,

If you're machine actuals are not near the progged feed rates I'd assume it's the controller parameters slowing the machine right down.

I can't remember the R values you can call on a Matts (Foggy's yer man) but look in the book to see if R0 is accurate, and R10 is roughing (or similar).

Then (depending upon your part requirements) you could open up the R tolerance a bit and reduce your times right down. 

A Matsuura in roughing mode is still usually very accurate...

I asked about this as well because other systems I've used were really accurate. I have a great deal of mold like work and on a 20 hour back plot I can expect 30 to 35 hours actual run time.

I'd like to know how to improve if not perfect time estimations. It really bones me on quoting.

Changing your rapid speed is only going to make a difference if you have lots of rapid movement.

I would feel safe guessing that if you loosened up your smoothing tolerances your cycle times would be more accurate, but when you have it set really tight most controls are going to slow down quite a bit to process the accel/decel for the line segments.

Also if you aren't using inverse time your cycle times will be waaaay longer because now the machine is only moving at the rate of the slowest axis.

I only have a couple of simultaneous paths in this......it's all the surfacing that's killing me

I have been using the G131 R0 on the Matsuura......

Going to try G05.1 Q1 just to see if there is any difference

To really blow your mind. I have seen the opposite as well. Where the run time on the machine was faster than what Mastercam said it would be. Only a few times, but enough that I tell anyone get a stop watch and go time it on the machine. Once the tool is done and it has cut the part at 100% rapid and 100% feed rate then and only then can I tell you with 100% accuracy what the run time is going to be.

I have this on the part I'm running now.  BP says 2:54 and I'm running under 2 hours.  A lot of 2+3 with mostly drilling and tapping.

Guest MTB Technical Services

If you apply an efficiency rate of 85% to the times you get reported from the Backplotter,

you will be fairly close to the actual times for most turning and 3-Axis Milling.

I double the tapping times and use a multiple of 1.5 for standard drilling ops.

If you have lot's of deep holes that are drilled with at G83 deep hole cycle or a custom peck reduction, triple the time reported for each hole.

(6xd or more)