Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Setting default holder library

Müřlıń®

Machine properties page. Can also be setup through the operation defaults.

Ron, which machine properties page? I tried looking but couldn't find it, i would also like to have this default to cat 50 or cat 40 holders depending on what machine def i am using 

I'm not so sure Ron's suggestion will work. The reason I say this is because I was trying to accomplish this today and couldn't get it to work. I placed a call to In-House Solutions and their tech support helped me out. The way we did it was to open two sessions of the tool manager from the X8 folder and scale the two sessions to fit the screen ( assuming single monitor ) On the left session, open your holders file ( I created one for all the toolholder we use on our Makino's ) and on the right session, open the folder of your tools. We use Mill_ Inch.  Now, one by one, drag each holder into the holder section of your tool library. It has to be done one at a time. This process worked like a charm. Now when I choose any toolpath, and then select the holders tab, all of my custom toolholder are right at my fingertips.

Carmen

• Like 1

In X8 I started saving my tools with holders assigned to a new tool library that contains only assemblies......

I've never seen any way to set a default holder library.

That doesn't mean it does not exist, just that if it does, I don't know about it  :)

Okay I will explain. You can set the holders, but the problem is you loose the tools.

Open up a blank file and then open up the the Default Control Settings.

Then Scroll down to the Operation Defaults.

Then grab all of your operations and right click edit common parameters.

Then inside of there there is Select Tool Library.

Then pick what holders you want to be your default library.

If you take the time to copy all the tools from your mill_inch into that holder library you are good to go. 

I hate the way it was done. The opposite way with coping all possible holders into mill_inch. I think it should have been the other way around. All tools should have been copied into each holder libraries. Had they given us a filters for holder then it would be a moot point but they did not.

Now lets take this a step further. You have a specific machine for your shop. You can do the same thing pretty easily. You would follow the same process for that machine and now you will always have Cat50 holders as the default library to you can go a step further and use machine specific tool library like we have done for years, but now you have all of the specific holders associated for that specific machine ready to go and not the disorganized hodge podge method we currently have.

So yes you can define your specific holders and have them always come up, but it takes a little bit of work on the programmers side to get there. I like the Big_Inch Library to use for coping into holder groups, but I like to have a lot more selection capabilities than most so that is why I like it most times over inch.

Hopefully I have explained this well enough and I will go back under my bridge.

• Like 1

I was introduced to a different way to handle things with Machine Definition and Control Definitions, Posts and Tool Libraries. Make a folder for your machines inside of the CNC Machines Folder in shared for each machine. Then keep your Machine and Control Definition, Posts, and tool library for that specific machine in that folder. It is a very elegant way to handle files for specific machines that you want to move from computer to computer. No grabbing files out of 4 or 5 different locations. Everything is kept in one folder for that specific machine for your company and you are done.

• Like 2

I was introduced to a different way to handle things with Machine Definition and Control Definitions, Posts and Tool Libraries. Make a folder for your machines inside of the CNC Machines Folder in shared for each machine. Then keep your Machine and Control Definition, Posts, and tool library for that specific machine in that folder. It is a very elegant way to handle files for specific machines that you want to move from computer to computer. No grabbing files out of 4 or 5 different locations. Everything is kept in one folder for that specific machine for your company and you are done.

I like this idea. I'm always looking for better ways to handle data and I think this is what I'm going to move to. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1