Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Autosave/Backup issue

Broadhead

Just noticed that my backup is not working correctly.  It shoots a file to my backup folder every time I save, but the file it shoots to my backup folder is the previous time I have saved.  It seems as if it is always lagging one file behind in my backup folder.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I personally do not use Autosave....I use backup only....

No issues with that at all

I learned my lessons the hard way on autosave many moons ago....I am now in the habit of saving regularly  :)

I think I figured it out....inc save saves to the original file name and pushes the original file name back as a dot.... so in mcx folder it is always one behind.

The only way to save the file you were just on if you crash is to select current file from the popup.

If you get your file messed up just reload from file open at top of list without saving.

I should not have put Autosave into my post heading.  This problem is dealing with the backup folder only.

I don't think that is it Murlin.  If I am understanding you correctly you are saying that the first time you save a file it is stored in the recently viewed section under the files menu.  That is directly linked to the original mx file I am using.  If something happens to that original file, the recently viewed file will lose its link and not open.  The only way to pull that file up again is through your backup folder.

From the Mcam help guide:

Suppose you have a file named Test.MCX. Suppose also that you have Delimiter set to a hyphen, Start set to 100, Increment set to 1, and Max Limit set to 3. Here is what Mastercam does with your MCX saves:

• The first time you save Test.MCX, Mastercam creates the backup file Test-100.MCX. You now have two copies of the file, Test.MCX and the first backup, Test-100.MCX.

• The second time you save Test.MCX, Mastercam renames Test-100.MCX to Test-101.MCX and creates a new Test-100.MCX from Test.MCX. Now you have three files, which are the original and two backups.

• The third time you save, Mastercam renames Test-101.MCX to Test-102.MCX, renames Test-100.MCX to Test-101.MCX, and creates a new Test-100.MCX from Test.MCX. Now you have four files: the original and three backups. Note that, in this example, three backups is the currently set Max Limit.

• The fourth time you save, Mastercam deletes Test-102.MCX (because it has reached the Max Limit number of backups), renames Test-101.MCX to Test-102.MCX, Test-100.MCX to Test-101.MCX, and creates a new Test-100.MCX from Test.MCX. Now you still have four files: the original and the most current three backups.

Note that the most current backup version has the Start number. That is, the higher the version number appended to the file, the older the file.

However based on observation the first statement is misleading, the first time you save a current version of the file is created. Every save there after takes the previous current file and renames it as the backup and continues renaming it till it gets to the max limit. This has been my observation since McamX5.

If by chance you experience a hard crash (lose power / no UPS power supply) and have a file open in Mcam, when you try to reopen that file there is a very good chance that it will be a null file.