Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Corrupted part?

lhbeau

So I'm trying to hollow this part out with a 2 inch face mill. I'm used to using wire frame from scratch, but the boss says that I should really use solids/surfaces instead. I took the solid he sent me, changed it to surfaces, and made curves on all edges to cheat and make wire frame.

It's supposed to look like this:

Rear Panel 1

That is a very similar part that I programmed from my own wire frame.

Instead, it looks like this:

Rear Panel 2

In backplot mode, it seems to act just fine. No wild rapid movements or anything like that. The pictures are from verify mode, of course, and when I do machine simulation, it freezes the whole computer.

Here is a picture of the supposed tool path:

BP3

Could the solid or surfaces be corrupted in some way?

Has this happened to anyone and is there a fix/work around?

Does it even matter if backplot acts fine?

You don't even have to create surfaces.  So far, I've been able to get most of what I want directly from the solid.  I'm really digging the Dynamic paths since I'm making the shift to Mcam.  I would just draw one rectangle and use Dynamic Mill but that's based on my limited Mcam use.  In other software I'd use a pocket cycle with a feedmill and plow it, again with simple 2d geo.  Judging by the 2in tool that part is around 20 inches and maybe an inch deep.  You may be better off to go for depth and use an EM with Dynamic mill.

• Like 1

You don't even have to create surfaces. So far, I've been able to get most of what I want directly from the solid. I'm really digging the Dynamic paths since I'm making the shift to Mcam. I would just draw one rectangle and use Dynamic Mill but that's based on my limited Mcam use. In other software I'd use a pocket cycle with a feedmill and plow it, again with simple 2d geo. Judging by the 2in tool that part is around 20 inches and maybe an inch deep. You may be better off to go for depth and use an EM with Dynamic mill.

If you look at your 3rd pic....those tool path arcs are caused from the holes in the floor.....

Most of the time if the tool is bigger than the hole and you use a solid,

The tool path will go right over....but sometimes they get funky...don't ask me why.

I just always make a habit of closing up all the holes and most of the weird stuff goes away.

If you look at your 3rd pic....those tool path arcs are caused from the holes in the floor.....

Most of the time if the tool is bigger than the hole and you use a solid,

The tool path will go right over....but sometimes they get funky...don't ask me why.

I just always make a habit of closing up all the holes and most of the weird stuff goes away.

In X8 and you can do all that directly to the solid without creating separate surfaces anymore. I usually make multiple copies of my solids and then modify them by removing fillets, removing holes, etc. to accomplish what I'm looking for. The solid modelling tools they've added are excellent

• Like 1