Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

target variable/string is bad

I'm trying my hand at building a post for our 5-axis router. The one we are using leaves us with limited options for modification. This is my 1st time working with MC posts, so I'll probably be spending a lot of time here.

I copied & pasted some sections of the old post into the new post that I'm creating ( from the MC supplied "Generic Fanuc 5X Router.pst" ), then I ran a test.

I'm getting this error:

PST LINE (930,930) - The question string has failed to process properly, The post question target variable/string is bad

This is the line referenced:

fq 3 originnum "Enter the Origin Number (ex. 55 - 59):"

What do I need to do to fix this?

Zeke

• Like 1

Most likely the originnum variable is undefined or possibly incorrectly defined.

There should be a statement like this

originnum  : 0      #Origin Number

Somewhere up at the top of the file which defines the variable, if there is one there, you might want to verify that it is spelled the same in both place.

Just my two cents.. this is a relatively simple error, 5 axis posts are ridiculously complex.. there is a reason people get paid a lot for these type of posts.

If your goal is to save money on a post you are probably going to end up spending more in time and aggravation creating one than paying someone, on the other hand, if your goal is to learn post editing because you just want to learn it.. then I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

Most likely the originnum variable is undefined or possibly incorrectly defined.

There should be a statement like this

originnum  : 0      #Origin Number

Somewhere up at the top of the file which defines the variable, if there is one there, you might want to verify that it is spelled the same in both place.

Just my two cents.. this is a relatively simple error, 5 axis posts are ridiculously complex.. there is a reason people get paid a lot for these type of posts.

If your goal is to save money on a post you are probably going to end up spending more in time and aggravation creating one than paying someone, on the other hand, if your goal is to learn post editing because you just want to learn it.. then I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

Thanks, my real goal is to learn. I'm sure there will be plenty of frustration & aggravation, but I think it will be worth it.

A day without learning something new is a wasted opportunity.