Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help or Advise-Running tool paths is Very Slow Mastercam x6-x9

jt300zx

Hi I'm JT and Systems Administrator for my company.  So please excuse the lack of terminology.

I built a pc specifically for a programmer to test before we make 12 pc investment.  Here are the basics:

i7 5960x

64gig Ram

Nvidea K5200 8gig

Mastercam X6-9

We thought this thing would be a burner but preforms no better than three year old pcs with 12 gig ram and Nvidea 4000 when creating tool paths.  Now, the user's profile and settings are to a network drive.  Even when I have the user to first save to local drive, nothing.  Is there anything that can be done?  I built this monster pc and it's not preforming.

I am curious, you didn't list the hard drives....

SSD drives are very quick these days......have also had great results running 2 10k drives set up in a RAID 0.........

Much can depend on the toolpaths that are being crunched as well......the old legacy toolpaths while providing great results are not multi-threaded, so regardless of how many cores, they will only process on 1 core.

The newer surfacing paths will mutli-thread......

The information is rather limited on what's being actually being done........I did find in testing that the legacy surface paths do have a limit, where no matter how much more horsepower you throw at them it doesn't matter.

Whereas the newer toolpaths will utilize much,  much more of a systems capabilites

I forgot the drives SSD  Samsung 850 Pros, RAID 0.

That is the hurdle understanding what it is they are doing.  I'm the IT guy and all they can tell me is it is slow.  After I install I don't mess with settings and so on.   I understand the differences in X6 to X9 on how utilize the hardware.  But the programmers are being hard nosed about going to X9. 

The first time a toolpath is converted from X6 to X9 it's expected to be slow, correct?

The first time a toolpath is converted from X6 to X9 it's expected to be slow, correct?

I wouldn't give them a choice about going to X9 but that's me  ;)

Depending on the type of toolpath, from X6 to X9 there may be little difference.......