Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FYI to all Post-Processor Developers regarding SIEMENS and G17, G18 & G19

Guest MTB Technical Services

Just an FYI to to all Post-Processor Developers at CNC Software, In-House Solutions, Postability and every other dealer regarding SIEMENS 840 Posts for Mills.

Please stop treating G17, G18 & G19 as if they act just like FANUC codes!

THEY DO NOT!

G17, G18 & G19 have different in-feed direction for the application of Tool Offsets.

Treating G18 or G19 just like FANUC will cancel the current tool length offset in G17 and will cause the tool to take a dive directly into the part!

I'm now up before 5:00AM because my customer's Mastercam dealer refuses to listen to what he's told.

I now have to repair a machine because of a crash caused by someone editing a post and not having any understanding of the control.

If G18 & G19 are to be supported, then the proper application of G18 & G19 is crucial.
Since the infeed direction changes when a new plane code is encountered, the machine must be told which direction
to apply the tool length offset using the TOFF or TOFFL command.

While this will work, if you actually want to see G18 & G19 and cut arcs in those planes, it is unnecessary.

For anyone who wants to cut 3D arcs with SIEMENS, your choices are use CIP arcs for everything, (Brute Force but it will work)

or simply insure that G18 & G19 are formatted like so and treat axis addresses and arc centers as non-modal.

G02/G03 X---- Z---- I---- K---- F

G02/G03 Y---- Z---- J---- K---- F

No G18/G19 required at all as SIEMENS will automatically process the arcs for the proper planes. :thumbsup:

Easy Peasy.

That information ought to be worth a free seat of X9 Multi-Axis for the savings from all the potential lawsuits! :w00t:

Maybe we can get this post pinned for future reference. ;)

• Like 4

I'm not sure if the "like" button is appropriate for this post, but man, I understand your frustration.

Really surprising to hear the Mastercam dealer isn't listening.... *cough* :)

I want to be fair.

I'm sure there are some good ones within the existing dealer structure.

But this guy that caused this crash was a piece of work.

I wanted to take him around the side of the building and beat him like he owed me money.

When you warn someone 4 times to change it and they don't listen, you're left to shake your head.

The great thing was the three customer employees there who heard me tell him everything.

It was the customer who hit the E-Stop almost instantly.

The control was still displaying the line of code where it was E-stopped.

I pointed out the exact line of code where the crash occurred to this dealer-bot and he still wanted to argue about it.

Mind you, this is 3 months after they were first provided an 840D manual! :realmad:

I want to be fair.

I wanted to take him around the side of the building and beat him like he owed me money.

When you warn someone 4 times to change it and they don't listen, you're left to shake your head.

The great thing was the three customer employees there who heard me tell him everything.

It was the customer who hit the E-Stop almost instantly.

The control was still displaying the line of code where it was E-stopped.

I pointed out the exact line of code where the crash occurred to this dealer-bot and he still wanted to argue about it.

Mind you, this is 3 months after they were first provided an 840D manual! :realmad:

So is there any insurance here?

If the machine had smacked and damage done and cost for parts and tech re-build/labour and machine down time etc???

It's not like this would be an accident? They can be avoided where this is just incompetence surely?

So is there any insurance here?

If the machine had smacked and damage done and cost for parts and tech re-build/labour and machine down time etc???

It's not like this would be an accident? They can be avoided where this is just incompetence surely?

It's already in the hands of the suits for my company.

What will likely happen is that if the MC dealer reimburses my company for the lost time

and having to return for training. that will be the end of it.

If the MC dealer is smart, that's what he'll do.

This is now the second machine this has happened to in the last month because of Mastercam posts written by dealers.

The last one was a post written by someone who works for the company that hosts this website. :whistle:

The machine I'm working on is brand new.

The crash bent the vacuum shroud around the C-Axis.

That caused the C-Axis to bind and alarm.

It also screwed up the proximity sensors for the Z-Axis ram.

I've got all the major mechanical issues fixed.

Tomorrow it's aligning the rotaries again and the tool changer.

I need to have a long conversation with Jose Cuervo. :w00t:

Do you think the technical information is worth a free seat of X9 Multi-Axis for the savings from all the potential lawsuits! :smoke:

I want to be fair.

Totally agree. There are some REAL good ones out there. Sadly most of them don't visit here. But there are some others, well.... *bites tongue*

Do you think the technical information is worth a free seat of X9 Multi-Axis for the savings from all the potential lawsuits! :smoke:

Why would you want that? :)

Totally agree. There are some REAL good ones out there. Sadly most of them don't visit here. But there are some others, well.... *bites tongue*

Why would you want that? :)

Touché! :rofl:

I think it might be considered rude to ask them for a free seat of a competitor's product. :laughing:

UPDATE:

We just finished aligning the rotary axes and re calibrating the tool changer.

All is well again.

Absolute terrific response from CIMTECH, In-House Solutions, Shopware and Postability on this issue.

Will Slota contacted me personally and personally coordinated with In-House Solutions.

Norbert from Shopware personally coordinated with Postability.

I even received a great response from Pedro at CNC Software.

Great to see customer support in the Mastercam family taking care of Mastercam customers the right way!

KUDOS!

• Like 1

UPDATE:

All is well again.

Absolute terrific response from CIMTECH, In-House Solutions, Shopware and Postability on this issue.

Will Slota contacted me personally and personally coordinated with In-House Solutions.

Great to see customer support in the Mastercam family taking care of Mastercam customers the right way!

KUDOS!

Will Slota just stopped by my machine and said hi to make sure it wasn't our machine that you were speaking of! Seems like a good guy! 

Will Slota is a good guy.

In my first visit to the USA, and to CNC Software (in the good old days), I first met him. I ended up taking a ride with him to New York City for the day. He is a very nice guy, and very knowledgable.

UPDATE:

All is well again.

KUDOS!

So you got your free multi-ax seat then???

:hrhr:

for the couple of $k (at cost) it would have cost them, they'd have got that back many times over in recommended sales.

IMHO of course.

I would glady accept a seat w/Lathe if they were to be so kind. :yes

• Like 1

With blade and port expert?

In for a penny - in for a pound :lol:

I wouldn't want to be considered greedy. :laughing:

In all seriousness, it would be nice but I really don't expect anything.

Luckily, no part of the machine required replacement.

it displaced the A-Axis on the head 1.044 degrees and the C-Axis about 0.3 degrees

It's only down time and my time and another tech.

Because of the size of the machine, calibrating the tool changer is a two person job.

The customer lost a carbide end mill and an ER collet, collet nut and some part material.

All that said, I certainly wouldn't refuse a seat! :w00t:

So, I'm back... in industry @ Cimtech.  I need to update my credentials on here asap

I want to thank Tim for the heads up!! 

Will, If you would do me a favor I'd appreciate it.

If you could follow up with CNC Software to make sure that they understand this issue, I would definitely appreciate it.

I'd hate to see this issue happen to someone else.

• Like 1