Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Crashing, 5 axis roughing

Lord Wukits

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxyd8woxGitZbE10cnB6U1hYLWM
Included in the link above I have the HLE Mastercam file(I have MCx8 on the shop floor but not in the engineering dept), and the Solid model that I’m working from(solidworks).

I’ve been working on this for about 2 weeks. This is for a 5 axis Motionmaster 5B 55XT, For the life of me I cannot seem to get a good roughing pattern done. The only limitations I have is the bit cannot be larger than ½ inch, and it can only hold two tools. The material is MDF that has been layered. (thought next time I might just rough the layers before gluing them together)

My original thought was to use the Surface High-Speed Core Roughing, and then just finish it off with the ½ inch ball end mill.

The first issue I had was my roughing pass crashing and gouging  on steep right hand side. So I figured I would convert the 3-axis to a 5-axis tool path and simply tilt the axis of the bit(and eventually changed from the flat endmill to the ball endmill). This helped some, but still has some gouging (even with the collision controls). From there I chose to trim and relink the tool path in collision controls, and it seemed to get better. I have overlooked some of the issues as it does not take any material out of the final pass.

I also see that the finishing pass leaves a small ridge on the right side(landing area) and also leaves a similar ridge on the left side indent wall.

I had thought this was a really simple part, and I would fly through it…. I was wrong(or perhaps it is?).  What are some ways/methods I can use to approach this? And if people don’t mind why would you decide to use said methods?

I have just finished the CamInstructor classes (excluding wire) from 2d to 5-axis, but the course seems to be lacking in a lot of the 5-axis lessons.

Best regards,

Wukits, Christian James 

Edit:  Oh and Hello to all!

50-2358, MOLD.SLDPRT

ok so I see this as a 3+2 project. I have done a lot of stuff like this. now I would create stock say as wire frame or a solid. I would use the HST paths, you will want to make tilt planes and containment boundrys in the planes for roughing as I am preaty sure your tool is not long enough to reach.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.  Jay was the path I ended up taking... kinda. 

The big issue was hogging out as much material as we had made a square of MDF. I couldn't find a tool path that would remove the material needed without crashing(because of the tilt).

The solution was to make the part in layers, and bond them together. From there it was Surface High Speed > Core Rough on the new layered part(not a huge square) and then the "hidden" convert toolpath to 5 axis. I followed that up with Surface High Speed > Waterline finish. The basic collision (Holder and distance) with a ball-nose tool worked. It came out amazing, and smooth as silk to the touch. 

As mentioned above I am quite a n00b, but I still can't get my mind around the fact that to deal with some of the original issues I would have to make even more geometry. I guess I'm getting soft with the parametric things, and the assumption that once drawn[solid], and with the material defined I should not need to add much geometry. I kept feeling as though I practically had to redraw the whole thing.

Many thanks to all for responding! I'm sure I'll be asking for more help soon!