Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi Axis Curve

Lord Wukits

I'm having an issue trying to use the Multiaxis toolpath on a double curved surface.

I'm using Mastercam for Solidworks[X9]

I cannot seem to get the toolpath to cut in one sweep. As seen in the attached image I select either the inner/outer surface lip, with the corresponding surface selected as well[grouped as A and B green line, blue surface].

Im my curve selection is indicates I have;
1x chain
6x entities
0x overlapping
0x direction changes

Yet the toolpath is cutting one "line" and one "arc" then changing direction going from climbing/conventional on a whim. 

Tool axis control is set to surface[5-axis]. 
Collision control is set to "On projected curve" with a vector depth of -3/16.
I was running with the Mastercam Top tool plane, and have even tried front... seems to have no difference.

post-62188-0-95826100-1440687004_thumb.png

Many thanks, It worked. I hate that I have to add extra geometry to get ti to work, but I needed to. Originally I chose to select one of the tangent edges, but that ended up having the tool inside the part, and nothing I did would put it outside the part.

Many thanks!

If what you're doing is what I think, Curve toolpath is not good at projecting the edges of a surface to the same surface. Seems silly I know because 90% of the time you're going to want to be trimming 'around' a surface if you're using this path to trim something. I've brought this up a million times and the path has gotten better but it still comes down to a tolerance of the surface edge vs. the 'loop' it creates around it - I thought this wouldn't happen in Mcam for Solidworks.   

Like Ron said you'll often avoid this while using Lines, but you have to watch sometimes on sharp edges. 

If you really want to use the surface, if you untrim it, then it should work out well - it gives the toolpath some 'meat' to project onto during calculation. 

• Like 1