Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

change Z to W on HBM

Hello,

I have a functionnal  post for a 4 axis HBM with a quill.  The output is always for the Z axis.  I have been asked if I could modify the post to output either Z axis or W axis moves depending on the value of a misc value.

I know I have to change the format statement from "Z" to "W", but my question is how to have these format statements recognize de misc value.  At this point, from my understanding, the post has not read the misc values when it reads the fmt lines and I can not format the variables once the toolpath is started to be written.

Could somebody please explain to me what I have to do to make this work?

Thanks in advance,

First of all, with out seeing your post, you may need the following 2 lines:

if mi1$ = 0, absinc$ = zero

else, absinc$ = one

Or it could be even easier, change the format address for zinc:

fmt  "X" 2  xabs        #X position output
fmt  "Y" 2  yabs        #Y position output
fmt  "Z" 2  zabs        #Z position output
fmt  "X" 3  xinc        #X position output
fmt  "Y" 3  yinc        #Y position output
fmt  "W" 3  zinc        #Z position output

Thanks bd41612,

but I do not think this is what I am looking for.  I want the post to output Z moves if mi1$ = 0 and output W moves if mi1$ = 1.

I need to read the format statement after the misc value for each operation is read.  I am really lost as to what I need to do to have it work.

No, this is not what I need.  On this particular machine, the Z axis is the quill and the W axis is an enveloppe around the quill and it is much stronger.  So we can machine everything with the Z axis or the W axis, even canned cycle.  If we machine with Z, W is a positionning axis.  If we machine with W, Z is a positionning axis.

I found the newfs command but it does not allow me the change the letter assigned to a variable, only the format statement.  This is really close to what I am looking for but not quite.

How about this:

pzout           #Z output
      if zabs < -10 & mi2$ = 1, wabs = zabs + 10, zabs = -10
      if absinc$ = zero, zabs, [if wabs < 0, wabs], !zinc
      else, zinc, !zabs

Using some logic like this your could get one block of code to look like X2. Y1.5 Z-10. W-2.3

The next trick could be to use the misc reals to put in a value that you want one axis to move and let the post decide on the remainder of the move for the other axis.

HTH