Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-axis post sends Z home at rotation change

There is a switch in the 5X Post: 'frc_cinit'. It stands for "force C Initialize", and causes the post to zero return the rotaries at the end of the operation. Set that to "zero", and the post will only return the rotary axes when an actual tool change takes place.

Spoke to soon! after searching 5ax switches..I dont have this?

# Generic Post Switches
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 5-axis Switches:
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
swt_dtrack         : 0     #Setting for the datum tracking function for 3+2, and either datum tracking
                           #with length compensation or TCP for simultaneous 4/5-Axis
swt_dtrack_vec     : 0     #0 = Do not output datum track vector (user must set on controller),
                           #1 = Output blank line for user to fill in the offset vector
swt_tcp            : 0     #Enable TCPM on machine (0 = Off, 1 = Unrotated, 2 = Rotated)
swt_vector         : 0     #Output tool vectors instead of rotary axis angles (0 = Off, 1 = On)
swt_ignore_lims    : 0     #Ignore rotary axis limits (0 = Off, 1 = On)
swt_gauge_prompt   : 0     #Prompt for tool gauge length (0 = Off, 1 = On)
swt_prog_pnt       : 0     #Programming point (0 = Pivot, 1 = Virtual tool tip, 2 = Spindle face) - SET FOR MACHINES WITH TILTING/NUTATING HEADS
swt_tiltplane      : 0     #Use tilted planes (0 = No, 1 = Spatial Angles, 2 = Euler Angles)
swt_tiltplane_cfg  : 0     #Tilt plane definition for spatial angles (0 = AC, 1 = BC, 2 = AB)
                           #(3 = A Only, 4 = B Only) - For machines with rotary tables and tilting heads
swt_euler_rottilt  : 0     #Output physical angles before Euler tiltplane output (0 = Off, 1 = On)
swt_rotlock        : 1     #Use rotary axis unlock/lock M-Codes
                           #0 = No, 1 = Lock, 2 = Brake, 3 = Lock and Brake
swt_tiltlock       : 1     #Use tilt axis unlock/lock M-Codes
                           #0 = No, 1 = Lock, 2 = Brake, 3 = Lock and Brake
swt_lock_format    : 1     #0 = Single line, 1 = Separate lines
swt_drl_lock       : 0     #Output lock codes between drill points? (Only valid when swt_rotlock and/or swt_tiltlock used)
swt_rot_feed       : 0     #Use calculated rotary feed values:
                           #0 = Off, 1 = On - output coords, 2 = On - virtual tooltip coords
swt_5ax_upm        : 0     #Units for 5-axis feed output (0 = Degrees/min, 1 = Units/Min (as programmed in mastercam))
                           #Only valid when 5-axis rotary feed set to Unit/min in control definition
swt_rot_one_rev    : 0     #Limit rotary indexing between 0 and 360 (0 = Off, 1 = 3+2, 2 = Start of all operations)
swt_tilt_one_rev   : 0     #Limit tilt indexing between 0 and 360 (0 = Off, 1 = 3+2, 2 = Start of all operations)
swt_tilt_mcode     : 0     #Output M code for tilt axis direction:
                           #0 = Do not output M code
                           #1 = Output M code (Only valid when tilt_type = 1 instead of sign indicating direction)
swt_rot_mcode      : 0     #Output M code for rotary axis direction:
                           #0 = Do not output M code
                           #1 = Output M code (Only valid when rot_type = 1 instead of sign indicating direction)
swt_rot_reset      : 1     #Force rotary axis reset during retract
swt_tilt_reset     : 1     #Force tilt axis reset during retract
swt_twist          : 1     #0 = Readdress arcs, 1 = Allow twisted plane to control axis rotation
swt_adv_comp       : 1     #Controller supports advanced cutter comp (G41.2/G42.2)
swt_top_map        : 1     #Output a top mapped approach point for 3+2 with tilted planes
swt_agg_comp       : 0     #Post aggregate head compensation (0 = Off, 1 = On)

No unfortunately not. Lots of hand editing is in my future. :) Thank you... Why would anyone set up a post like this for 5ax? Going home for every operation that changes rotation and/or tilt with the same tool, so stupid. If i want the machine to go home between operations i'll use force tool change!

I think you missed the last sentence in my previous post in this thread.

Your post builder has customized your post to use different variable names. By reading through the list of variables you posted, I think I found the name of the variable in your post that enables/disables this behavior.

swt_rot_reset      : 1     #Force rotary axis reset during retract

Try changing the value of that variable to '0'. Then re-process your NC file.

Who did you buy your post processor from? Is this from In-House Solutions, Postability, or another Post Developer? Usually the post developer would provide some sort of "document" that would explain what each of the switches inside the post control, and how to configure them properly for your given machine.

Why would anyone set up a post like this for 5ax?

Answer: Safety.

As a post builder, you generally want to default to the "safest" mode of output available, while providing full control to the user. You've got a switch (a variable that controls the post funcitons, depending on the numeric value of the variable), so setting the control functionality is up to you. By turning off the 'swt_rot_reset' variable, you can cause the post to not "zero" the rotary axes. This is useful when you know what you are doing (as you obviously do), but what about a new programmer that is using this post for the first time. It is quite possible that you could program an operation, not input a high enough retract on an operation, or too short an approach on the next operation.

The main issue though at the moment, is that you personally, don't want that behavior. You've got a switch that lets you set the output to your personal preference...

• Like 1

Why would anyone set up a post like this for 5ax? Going home for every operation that changes rotation and/or tilt with the same tool, so stupid. If i want the machine to go home between operations i'll use force tool change!

Because on smaller machines you need the room......depending on your fixture and tool lengths..

There IS a place for it.....not knowing what you're doing, I can't say if that fits for your situation

I have been programming 5-axis for several years and like the full retract and have no plans to change it.  The Makino rapids at 2300+ ipm so in the end it only adds a few seconds.  I also know of a guy that programs a high end 5-axis machine that wanted the tool kept close to the part and crunched the spindle because he forgot there would be a fixture clamp in the way during indexing.

• Like 1

I have been programming 5-axis for several years and like the full retract and have no plans to change it.  The Makino rapids at 2300+ ipm so in the end it only adds a few seconds.  I also know of a guy that programs a high end 5-axis machine that wanted the tool kept close to the part and crunched the spindle because he forgot there would be a fixture clamp in the way during indexing.

When you have 100+ rotary position changes with lock/unlock of trunnion, full home. IT ADDS ALOT OF TIME!

Because on smaller machines you need the room......depending on your fixture and tool lengths..

There IS a place for it.....not knowing what you're doing, I can't say if that fits for your situation

Well, if your working down at B90, C0/C90/C180/C270 mostly you retract to your stock, rotate and go back on in. You dont retract all the way home!?! Thats how I was shown. Than when you move from say b90. to b0. with the same tool FORCE TOOL CHANGE for clearance. Tools in the cut are good. Tools jumping around retracting everywhere NO GOOD :) Right?

We mostly use dovetails stock. No second operation most are "parted off" complete so alot of jumping around to delicately "shave" material away.