Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"You cannot close the application while a task is active..."

Thad

Any idea what would cause this error message? It's the second time it has come up it the past 2 hours. I wasn't trying to post anything. I just used Xform->Project, then attempted to use the Result QM, but all of my QM icons were grayed out. I tried to close MC so I could restart and this message came up.

post-2305-0-59618500-1454512158_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have seen that problem when the post processor bombs with an error.  We run Vericut and it locks the posted NC file while it's got a simulation running.  If I don't reset Vericut prior to posting again from MC, the post bombs out with an error since Vericut has the file locked (i.e. read-only.)  After that all sorts of random crap in MC doesn't work right and it will not exit - I have to manually kill it from windows Task Manager.  Basically one the post errors out, you are totally screwed and just don't know it yet.

This caused me some pretty serious confusion until i figured out what was going on.

The really weird thing is that I can continue to work without problems. I just trimmed some lines and I even posted some ops, but when I try to shut down MC, this error comes up.

Yes really hard when you don't know it has happened and go putting in hours of work and cannot save the file.

I have seen that problem when the post processor bombs with an error.  We run Vericut and it locks the posted NC file while it's got a simulation running.  If I don't reset Vericut prior to posting again from MC, the post bombs out with an error since Vericut has the file locked (i.e. read-only.)  After that all sorts of random crap in MC doesn't work right and it will not exit - I have to manually kill it from windows Task Manager.  Basically one the post errors out, you are totally screwed and just don't know it yet.

This caused me some pretty serious confusion until i figured out what was going on.

Yes what I have seen exactly and what I reported exactly.

I have never used Vericut and see this error all the time.

as soon as I see it I ctl-alt-del...log off... 

Nothing can be done...I believe it to be a sketcher bug...

It is a bug where you can go from one function to the next without checking out.  Everyone does this because it eliminates one mouse click...but sometimes the function does not close and too many other things done and it locks that function open...

I think it is one of the sketcher functions but not sure..

I got boned the other day from a similar deal where I had a solid chain not regenerate properly. I could not save without the solid regenerating (which for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't). I eventually had to ditch the file and open at my last save point and lost 1/2 hr of programming.

I honestly couldn't care less if the entire file was dirty. At some point it's time to go home and it just needs to be saved and dealt with in the morning.

• Like 1

I got boned the other day from a similar deal where I had a solid chain not regenerate properly. I could not save without the solid regenerating (which for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't). I eventually had to ditch the file and open at my last save point and lost 1/2 hr of programming.

I honestly couldn't care less if the entire file was dirty. At some point it's time to go home and it just needs to be saved and dealt with in the morning.

If I program in the same file I've modeled solids with I get this a lot. A LOT. I've started modeling my parts in a separate file and saving as a step. This has helped my solid work more than anything else.

There is a hook to save with dirty solids BTW.

If I program in the same file I've modeled solids with I get this a lot. A LOT. I've started modeling my parts in a separate file and saving as a step. This has helped my solid work more than anything else.

There is a hook to save with dirty solids BTW.

This is a workflow issue 100%

Your geometry for creating solids should be segregated onto it's own set of levels and turned off.......in this way, you will not ever modify a chain that is defining solid geometry.

You can also use the Remove Solids history option in the Model Prep menu....it disassociates the defining wireframe from the sold and creates a "dumb" solid.

This is a workflow issue 100%

Your geometry for creating solids should be segregated onto it's own set of levels and turned off.......in this way, you will not ever modify a chain that is defining solid geometry.

You can also use the Remove Solids history option in the Model Prep menu....it disassociates the defining wireframe from the sold and creates a "dumb" solid.

I assure you it is. I find the problem when I have paths using a solid then have to make engineering changes to the solid. With the type of work we do it is very often I have to go back and change solids. Solids with toolpaths often do not like to regenerate. I've found it much easier to have a dedicated file for solids, haven't had a problem since.

Having said that, X9 is much better than X8 about this.

The last job I was on was a huge dumb solid.  I got this error 4 times. The solid was so big we had to use a surface model to speed up tool path calculation and rendering.

There were no tool paths made from that solid. 99% of the toolpaths were morph made from chains I pulled off the dumb solid and

surfaces from those.

I did however create some surfaces from that solid and turn them into a sheet solid for easier drive surface selection.

But there was no wire frame geometry involved in this whole project where solids were constructed.

These 24 tool paths were the only tool paths that were associated with a solid.....all the other 800 ops were off surface and wire geometry and were not associated to any solids.

I had already gotten this error bug a couple times however before any tool paths were were made from solids.

With the exception of pulling a couple of check surfaces from the dumb solid which I later disassociated and pulled them from the surface model.

I do remember trimming one of those sheet solids to a curve.

Perhaps the problem lies with associated tool paths to a solid...

I think you guys are on to something here...

I had a job I was programming, huge solid.....it would take 2 to 3 minutes just to navigate the operation parameters....

Extracted the solid as surfaces, dumped the solid, file ran much better.....only case I ever had with a large complicated solid...

But yes, if you tool tool paths associated with a solid and then delete the history, you're going to have issues

I had a job I was programming, huge solid.....it would take 2 to 3 minutes just to navigate the operation parameters....

Extracted the solid as surfaces, dumped the solid, file ran much better.....only case I ever had with a large complicated solid...

But yes, if you tool tool paths associated with a solid and then delete the history, you're going to have issues

But there is one thing I don't understand....when you create solids from surfaces there is no history in the solids manager...it only says body???

The only history is the associated toolpath...