Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fillet surface to surface

chris tobey

+1 to Ron!

Other software (cough...NX...cough) will automatically fillet that sharp corner while creating the edge blend.

not always...cough...cough....I spent alot of hrs cleaning up messed up fillets from NX models with Mastecam...........NX still has room for operator error... :)

You must , like Ron says...build your fillets in the proper sequence.

not always...cough...cough....I spent alot of hrs cleaning up messed up fillets from NX models with Mastecam...........NX still has room for operator error... :)

You must , like Ron says...build your fillets in the proper sequence.

I have not seen your part/file but there are many tools within NX to analyzes the surfaces to make sure they are correct. I am sure your part/ files are much more complicated then the photo.

• Like 1

I have not seen your part/file but there are many tools within NX to analyzes the surfaces to make sure they are correct. I am sure your part/ files are much more complicated then the photo.

Oh yes my part had about 3000 fillets...all I was saying is that operator error is always a factor given the best software used...

NX is a great CAD package...but I have cleaned up a bunch on NX messes using Mastercams CAD...

Oh yes my part had about 3000 fillets...all I was saying is that operator error is always a factor given the best software used...

It´s an interesting statement because unfortunately few trainers or people are formally/technically prepared to understand the golden rules of filleting (I myself am not on that group). Since it varies from kernel to kernel, I guess that not all rules can be applied generally speaking, while others are universal. I remember Pro/E being able to fillets that in NC or Solidworks would yield very different results.

Edit: I think the best way to know how to deal with each package is to know the filleting rationale of each kernel. I suppose only high skilled application engineers and long time users can answer this one.

It´s not fair to compare NX CAD with MC CAD... Although both uses Parasolid kernel, we should not expect the same results for both :p

I was not comparing!!! LOL Just saying that Ron  :unworthy:  was spot on but other software will make the change for you.

Mastercam CAD (has many NX features) is very capable, I have always said that.

I just finished a NX Mechanical Freeform Modeling course and learned a ton about blends/ rads/ bridge surfaces etc.....much more to learn as well!!

• Like 1

It´s an interesting statement because unfortunately few trainers or people are formally/technically prepared to understand the golden rules of filleting (I myself am not on that group). Since it varies from kernel to kernel, I guess that not all rules can be applied generally speaking, while others are universal. I remember Pro/E being able to fillets that in NC or Solidworks would yield very different results.

Edit: I think the best way to know how to deal with each package is to know the filleting rationale of each kernel. I suppose only high skilled application engineers and long time users can answer this one.

Yes I had about a decade with wildfire...

The filleting approach in not governed by the software...it is governed my the geometry.....the way the entities come together...ect....

While two areas of the model may seem to be exactly the same, the endpoint calculations of all the blended surfaces are not.....

one area may work just fine with a tangent line, while the exact same looking area on another part of a model may require one to use a face to face to create the same results.

areas where multiple fillets intersect may require one to use different ordering methods and different filleting methods....

It is all about the geometry...

ok guys we are getting off topic now. why wont it trim the edge why is it not a closed group

Ron told you why in his first post...your question has already been answered.

if you want to get more technical, filleting it the way you did creates an un-trimable intersection for the side wall.

Can you not see that in your pic???

i am moving the topic into the education forum, i am following a mastercam university video and there step by step process and this is how they are doing it and it works for them but not on my part, thank you for all your advice.. 

here is there part after using fillet surface to surface , i was not sure how it works for them and not for me, 

post-68094-0-81464600-1455120203_thumb.png

i am moving the topic into the education forum, i am following a mastercam university video and there step by step process and this is how they are doing it and it works for them but not on my part, thank you for all your advice.. 

here is there part after using fillet surface to surface , i was not sure how it works for them and not for m

What are your tolerances set for cordial and surface deviation ?

Hrmmm...

Well I am not sure why you would be getting different results.

Since your part is an easy one to build, I might try just starting over and rebuild your part.

Sometimes things just get weird, no explanation...nature of the beast.

Perhaps it will work the way you want it to second time around...unknown until tried...it may do the same thing.

I run into this sort of thing all the time and never give it a second thought...I just do something a little different and make it work.

What matters is that I end up with a part like the print...how I get there is often irrelevant and never the same way every time... 

thanks i will keep trying that till it works, i did redo it 3 times now and still same results, but im sure i am missing a step or something... 

well good luck...one other thought is that you are using a version of Mastercam that is different from the course that you are following...

I Know the initial release of X was kinda flakey...

i think your right that was the first thing i noticed during this program that it looked older, i am at a new job using x9, and the last version i used was x5 for 2 years ,  now im learning 3d and am going to have to learn to program for the 5th  axis mazak they have,  i was only programing for the bars/ hmc and vmc mazaks , i never did any rotary work ether for the vmcs...