Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Machine for Micromachining

MSL

Hi,

We are looking to buy a 3 axis machine for micromachining. Does anyone here know any good machines? we do not have lots of real state for this machine so we are looking for a machine with small foot print. Currently looking at the machines listed below.

Makino iQ300

Okuma MILLAC 44V II

Yasda YMC 430

Matsuura LV-500

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

I'm doing good. Lots of changes since you left. Let me know when you come around.

Back in Calif since July

Work in Camarillo and El Segundo

PM'd you my number give me a call

PEACE :D

Hi,

We are looking to buy a 3 axis machine for micromachining. Does anyone here know any good machines? we do not have lots of real state for this machine so we are looking for a machine with small foot print. Currently looking at the machines listed below.

Makino iQ300

Okuma MILLAC 44V II

Yasda YMC 430

Matsuura LV-500

Thank you.

Makino and Yasda are tough top choices then the Matsurra.

Is the Okuma really like for like? The revs are 'only' 20k? The others are 45k...

I guess I'd be asking myself what do I need (rpm wise) and if I really need 40k, then what about cost/process of tool & holder balancing, and then cost of exchange spindle when it gets twatted.

The Yasda and Matsuura doo look sweet.

Regarding the Datron, they are stunning and because they are a bridge machine, they are very small footprint for their axis travel.

EDIT: and if 20k rpm is okay, I wouldn't hesitate on a Brother

what kind of material and operations are you looking to do? Steel, graphite, plastics or aluminum..., Milling, drilling everyting...rigid tapping?

most milling in my experience especially in micro machining the rpms don't matter as your machine moves will never allow you to achieve optimal feedrates. You have to consider what will cover all your needs, but if you into any kind of small hole drilling then your looking at another beast and could need up to 80k spindle speeds.

One application I had run across in the past was we were working on MP35N material, milling and drilling with .016 bullnose em and drilling with .008" drills. we had mounted a 40k NSK spindle speeder in our mori which got us by but that was up until we got our 80k in for the drilling.

But on another hand when we set the machines up originally and were doing test cuts for using the look ahead I programmed one the hs sample parts from mc to a feed rate of 999 IPM for an aluminum block. We ran it and it never achieved anything above 300 ipm. That's just an example per se, your requirements should drive what you need more than anything. your budget sounds right though you lucky dog =)

Easy picks would be the Makino or Yasda.

From spending some time in Europe though I would suggest Kern.

http://www.kern-microtechnik.com/en/home/

Ridiculously accurate machine and a small foot print.

Maybe look at the Evo or Pyramid Nano (interesting looking machine too).

If you're not doing micro work now then get ready for calculation times to go through the roof due to having to use very small tolerances as well as actual program size going up.

It's funny but the smaller the part you are cutting the bigger the actual size of the NC program :)