Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom drilling cycle: start from inside the hole, retract out of the hole

Hello.

Does anyone know if the following kind of custom drilling cycle has already been done by someone and is available somewhere?

- A hole has been pre-drilled to certain depth.

- I need to drill it deeper using another tool.

- I want the tool start drilling a few millimeters from above the bottom of the pre-drilled hole

- The cycle should behave similarly as a deep-hole drilling cycle, but retract above the surface of the workpiece to take the chips out and cool down the tool

There have been several occasions where this kind of cycle would have been incredibly helpful!

Thanks.

Attached are a couple of macros that I use for deep hole drilling. They both feed down inside a pre-drilled hole at 4X the programmed feed (I didn't like rapiding into the hole) Also they both allow you to specify the 1st drill depth prior to pecking because many times you don't need to peck until the drill is in there a ways. In addition both macros allow you to specify the point to retract too within each peck. Many times with long drills you don't want to pull out of the hole all the way to the R plane so I set this to .050 inside the hole. This keeps the drill edge from clipping the part each time it goes in an out of the hole which can cause premature wear on your drill. Furthermore, really long carbide drills will snap off if the drill isn't piloted inside the hole, hence the 2 macros, one with a dead spindle just for this reason. I register them as custom G-code macros G183 & G283.

hope this helps

Cheers!

Len

Custom Drilling Macros.zip