Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Model Based Definitions and an End to 2D Drawings

MechMonk

I've been having a discussion with one of our engineers about how to digitally dimension solid models created in Solidworks 2013 so that the dimensions are transferred into Mastercam.

Right now what is happening is that engineering produces a minimally dimensioned drawing with notes, tolerances that are different from the title block, threaded holes, GD&T, etc. Then Engineering generates a parasolid for CAM programing and it becomes the reference for dimensions not specifically called out on the drawing. This is all for in house part manufacturing and prototyping.

Solidworks has a module called Model Based Definition that lets you add this information to the solid model inside of Solidworks and export to a 3D PDF, but it just seems like it’s making a fancier drawing to me. From what I can tell none of the dimensioning would be saved in a format readable by Mastercam.

I haven’t seen any way for a parasolid to transfer digital dimensions and tolerancing. It would be nice to have this type of information totally travel with the solid model and not worry about needing the drawings. I know were not the first folks to explore this and I’m wondering how others handle it (specifically with regard to Mastercam).

Is there any sneaky way to get Solidworks to transfer this info to Mastercam?  Am I asking for too much in cross platform information sharing? Is the industry just not there yet?

I know there are some specific Solidworks questions here, but I’m hoping someone has dealt with this issue before and can suggest a direction to follow.

Thanks for the help.

Am I asking for too much in cross platform information sharing? 

I really think you answer your own question right here

There is a way to get Catia MBD info in, that is 3rd party software but I have never seen a way to get that from SW's

MCfSW was a thought, but I'm not sure I want to switch over. It always sounded like it was a better program for someone who already uses SW and needs to do a little CAM programing on the side and not for serious programing  :fun:. I'll take a closer look at MCfSW when I talk management into getting a seat of SW for me.

From the poking around I've been doing it didn't sound like there was anyway to transfer MBD between different platforms. I figured if it could be done the experience on this forum would know how.

Honestly the minimal 2D drawings and solid model combination works fine, and at this point in our operation communication between manufacturing and engineering is good. Most of the time manufacturing knows what an engineer wants even if it's not explicitly spelled out on a drawing. I also understand that this won't last forever and is not the best practice :).

Thanks for the replies.

I hope you noticed "CNC Software" in the list of companies involved in the above link.

We've been working with NIST and several companies on improving/testing AP242 since Fall of 2014.

And we've been doing quite a bit of groundwork-laying back at headquarters to stay on top of this.

But it won't happen overnight, and neither will export of consistently usable STEP files from CAD vendors, but its certainly on the radar here.

And our effort does not end with STEP....

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

I hope you noticed "CNC Software" in the list of companies involved in the above link.

We've been working with NIST and several companies on improving/testing AP242 since Fall of 2014.

And we've been doing quite a bit of groundwork-laying back at headquarters to stay on top of this.

But it won't happen overnight, and neither will export of consistently usable STEP files from CAD vendors, but its certainly on the radar here.

And our effort does not end with STEP....

Yup I saw CNC's name listed and was glad to see you all are working on this as well as a lot of others. Good to see the industry moving this direction.