Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

XZ Plane milling problem

barter

Hello, please help me on the following problem. Often I need to create toolpaths in the XZ plane and I just don't know which toolpath to use. Recently I had to make a very simple cut  - I made a sketch, see the attached image. I just need to move the tool according the red line. I really don't know how to start it and which toolpath to use. I've found some info while searching about checking the options for arcs in: settings -> control definition manager -> arc . Arcs in all planes are supported, so the problem is not there. If I try to use contour it always works in XY plane, or a plane perpendicular to the tool axis. Maybe I should use a different toolpath, or maybe I haven't set the planes right. I'm missing something fundamental here, but I don't know what. I'm having the same problem with YZ plane, but I guess the solution is the same for both planes. Can you help me? Using Mastercam X5 Mill Level 3

post-70424-0-73385300-1464353881_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your responses, you're right this type of toolpath cannot use cutter comp (except for ball endmill I think) and I am aware of that. After reading your advices here is what I did: Click toolpaths -> contour and select the geometry in 3d chaining mode (that's because I read in mastercam help that if you need to do 3d contour you have to select 3d geometry - see the first image). After selecting the geometry in the "cut parameters" window 2d and 3d options are grayed out (second image). Am I missing something here or doing something wrong?

post-70424-0-00646500-1464433521_thumb.png

post-70424-0-39970200-1464433550_thumb.png

If 3D option is grayed that means your geometry is located on the same plane as your machining plane (it looks like you drew on front plane on your picture1). On your picture2, there is a tab named 'plane'. There, you ll need to set your Tplane correctly: it should be left plane if i understood well...

After that, perhaps you will need to exit this window clicking OK button then re-open toolpath parameters window to be able to change toolpath type from 2D to 3D

I think the problem is solved, because the tool did what I wanted to do. David Colin's guideline helped me. This is the setup of planes which worked for me (first image). If I understand right the tool plane is that to which the tool axis is perpendicular, the construction plane is in which you create toolpath geometry. I'm not sure of these definitions, if someone knows exactly how these planes are defined I would like to know. What is bugging my mind is why the contour type is still 2D? (see second image). Anyway the final result you can see on the third image. I'll attach also the mastercam file if someone is interested, and to be easier to answer to my questions. I'd like to note that this is not real life part, it's just an example showing the general principle of machining in a plane not perpendicular to tool's axis.

I'm not sure how to mark the problem as SOLVED in the forum. Is there a way to do that?

post-70424-0-02261600-1464504239_thumb.jpg

post-70424-0-01335800-1464504474_thumb.png

post-70424-0-31535100-1464504560_thumb.png

I just opened your file and in your application, your Cplane should be set to TOP (= your Tplane). Then you'll see 3D contour type will be selected (or selectable).

BTW, i don't remember using a Cplane not equal to Tplane... so 99% time it will be set like that.