Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finishing flat, angled surface

Matt@RFR

Sorry guys, I really struggled coming up with a decent thread title, hopefully what my puny brain puked out will work ok.

MC4SW X9

Picture 1 is the part showing the two end slots with angled walls.  This is the problem area.  The two parallel walls are vertical. 

post-64056-0-78922800-1466723325_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 shows the best tool path I could put on it.   It's a simple 3D contour finish, but I've tried all of the 3D finishing (and even 3D contour rough), but I just can't get it to work for me.   I've also modeled plugs for those holes with no changes to the tool path. 

post-64056-0-54417200-1466723331_thumb.jpg

The first (top) pass on picture 2 shows what I need;  The tool starts off the part and finishes all 3 walls of the slot.  I just can't get MC to do that on all the rest of the passes. 

TIE ROD MOUNT.SLDPRT

Anyone have an idea of how to get this to work?

Draw a flat surf at the  max z level and pick Flats in the sfc T.P.dialogue

Or go 2d contour to nail the straight wall then go sfc or flowline to catch the angled area or waterline....or

, sf  parallel ...

MC is "fighting it out in the trenches" to get it done.

Remember what works

and as the same shapes come back around you got it covered...

High end software $30,000. @ $5,000 a year maint.  knocks it right out .....

Draw a flat surf at the  max z level and pick Flats in the sfc T.P.dialogue

Or go 2d contour to nail the straight wall then go sfc or flowline to catch the angled area or waterline....or

, sf  parallel ...

MC is "fighting it out in the trenches" to get it done.

Remember what works

and as the same shapes come back around you got it covered...

High end software $30,000. @ $5,000 a year maint.  knocks it right out .....

This has to be the most confusing reply to a post I have ever seen.

• Like 1

In my opinion Parallel motion would work well in that application which would be either Surface Finish Parallel or Surface high speed Raster.

I recommend the Surface High speed Raster toolpath.

​Step1 - Use either Create --> silhouette Boundary, or draw a 2d Boundary representing where you would like to keep the tool (Containment Boundary)
Step2 - Pick surface high speed Raster toolpath

Step3 - Pick entire model for the drive surfaces

Step4 - Use a the 2d Containment boundary as well to ensure you only get tool motion in the intended area.

There are many other ways to have successful results, but from first glance I think I would start there. Good luck!

I went about it totally different. I copied the solid to another level. I then removed the holes. I then removed the fillets on the top and the bottom of the ears both side. I then extended the top and bottom faces where I got a full areas to work from. I then extended the radius of the ears where when I trimmed the top and bottom and angles faces I would get perfect points. I then used Flowline to make the toolpath. I used direction with 90 and 270 to have it start in the center of the groove and got very nice motion top to bottom. I did use limits to keep it from doing unneeded motion at the top. I could use trim to get rid of air cuts, but sometimes that is more hassle than it is worth. I could have trimmed the points to be closer to the part, but was just showing a different way top think about a part like this.

Here is link to the file if anyone wants to look at it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9t8siv3tbjavie/5TH%20AXIS%20TIE%20ROD%20MOUNT.mcx-9?dl=0

post-5783-0-78481100-1466777976_thumb.png

Waterline will work nicely

No dice for me at all, same results as I got in my first post.

I would make a pocket and "surface finish contour"

I didn't mention this, but I'm only making two of these so this is the solution I went with. 

Thanks everybody!

I would make a pocket and "surface finish contour"

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I had a part that had that exact same shape that I've been dealing with, only it was at the bottom of a 4" hole (square all the way up, tapered like that at the bottom, .19 corner rad) and had to have 32m finish. Roughed, then finished with waterline for the walls, and raster on the taper angles. 

Apparently I do things a LOT different than others...

I'd finish the two vertical walls with 3d contour and depth passes then the angled face with flowline. Keep the tool going the same direction the whole time and your part will look better when finished.

• Like 1

I'd finish the two vertical walls with 3d contour and depth passes then the angled face with flowline. Keep the tool going the same direction the whole time and your part will look better when finished.

Thats the way I would have done it too...

I was going to suggest the same thing, but seen to many times over the years I get too far off the beaten path and it doesn't go well. The part is done and hopefully some good food for thought for the next person that comes across this thread.

That's a Very Good Approach Ron since sometimes its needed to get that little extra area that the tool did not reach and a little chopping up of the model goes a long way to get just what you want or may need in order to make it work and get er done .

All the tools at one time or another will get used  in ways you just never thought of.

:cheers:

I have done similar parts in the past.  I rough the slot with a bullnose endmill using 3D contour and depth cuts.  Then I finish the walls with a ball endmill staying .01 off the floor so it does not dig in.  Then I finish the floor with a parallel path that runs in the same direction as the the walls. Same as jlw.