Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need help understanding stock model

tiredtoolmaker

Re: X7

I might be way out in left field here or out of the ballpark trying to get a grasp on stock model. I have searched here and you tube but still confused.

On attached file, the blue is before machining, the orange is after machining. This is only an example, other parts greatly vary in detail.

I usually build parts from scratch, meaning I start with rectangle or round stock. So there is no wasted machining time because no stock has been removed in certain areas.

Now, I'm needing to rework several items with minor changes so I was searching for a way to only machine in needed areas.

I've never used stock model so I assumed I could define the stock by the current machined piece so Mastercam would not be cutting lots of air.

Is stock model good for this or am I severely confused?

post-59332-0-54253300-1469450099_thumb.png

Stock model does exactly that, but not all toolpaths respect the stock model

The ones that do, such as high speed rest roughing will have a Material page in the operations manger

You can define the material as your stock model.. or link to an stl file

X7 stock model is not as robust as it is in newer releases but it can be useful

Stock Model is mostly used for transferring stock from stage to stage, and keeping the stock associated to all previous stages.

Think of a multistage process; lots of roughing, lots of finishing. The stock model lets you see the actual stock, at any point in the process. The alternative to this, would be creating a static model of your stock. The benefit of "stock model" is that as you update roughing ops, the changes flow down to finishing ops as well. You can see potential gouges and excess material before they cause you trouble.

In your situation, it sounds like you are altering finished parts into "new" parts? If so, you could simply select the finished part as the stock and achieve a similar effect.

J

Stock Model is mostly used for transferring stock from stage to stage, and keeping the stock associated to all previous stages.

J

Sorry, but if you limit the power to stock model to that then you are not it using it anywhere near it's full potential. Opti-Rough with Stock model takes machining to a completely different level. In X7 however it was still getting a lot of the kinks worked out so like Gcode I am not going to be much help.

You are on the right track and I will even make dummy operations to use on my stock model if I am removing clamps or have tabs that will be chunks of Material. That way I get exactly what is going on through the part. I just finished a part with over 20 stock models. I have one for each depth of cut to really dial down the process to eliminate air cuts to that level. I learned to color code them. Having them all the same color is not good and if you have a real complex one not fun to have to regenerate the whole stock model to just change the color.

• Like 3

Ok, I've came along way with stock models since I posted this. Please be patient.

My question is, How do I save my stock model as an .stl file or another type file so I can use it in my stock setup? I want to see my stock model in verify.

I tried "save some" but it won't let me select the stock model. "Save as" ignores the stock model. Export doesn't seem to work either.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree again?

Morning,

This is how it works in X9, maybe it's similar in X7;

In the operations manager, choose the "Backplot / Verify options" button (directly beside the verify button).

The stock setup allows you to choose any of the stock models in your current file. No need to import an stl.

Jay

Speaking of stock models... I'm still getting hollow stl from Verify. All settings are default, any one have any ideas?

Are you talking about exported STL's?

if so, I believe an STL file is always "hollow"...It's a triangulated surface mesh, not a solid.

Yes, the first stock model created in mcam runs fine. Save it out of verify and imports and generates path just fine. Bet when selecting it for verify the first cut makes it hollow, verify doesn't "cut" away. I'll send you a file when I get back in town if you want to see.

As I said, all settings are default. If I go in my stock model tool path and add an offset of .01in it works properly but also makes it cut where I don't want it too.

Yes, the first stock model created in mcam runs fine. Save it out of verify and imports and generates path just fine. Bet when selecting it for verify the first cut makes it hollow, verify doesn't "cut" away. I'll send you a file when I get back in town if you want to see.

As I said, all settings are default. If I go in my stock model tool path and add an offset of .01in it works properly but also makes it cut where I don't want it too.

I have this problem sometimes too. What I do (probably not a great solution) is try and generate the stock model a couple ways and see if it improves. For example, sometimes I get different results by running the verify and saving as an stl vs using the stock model toolpath.