Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe G50 at tool change

I use the generic Fanuc 2-axis post that ships with MCX9.

I always just throw in the G50, but it would be cool if someone could help me modify for that output?

Also, I always edit my code to G28 the X-axis first, then on the next line I G28 the Z-axis. That's so I don't hit the tailstock on accident.

I have no post experience. I have located the file, and can open it in notepad, but there's a lot there...

Thank you,

Barry in St Louis

• Like 4

5th Axis,

Yes, I absolutely love QTE. I have worked with Mark Clark many times over the years. I have not had the privilege to meet Reese. You know who is a cool guy over there, Jake. Maybe he's lurking around, and can post a picture of his awesome MasterCam car. I am usually working on improving my flow, after hours. During the day, it's all about the next program. Thus the posting here.

Jaydenn,

I just tried that MPLMaster set-up. It doesn't fix my problem, and adds a G28 for V. So, I appreciate the try, but am still in the same boat.

Anyone got the secret for G50 at tool change, and home X before Z?

Other than these two things, the generic post is cool for me.

Thanks guys,

Barry in St Louis

• Like 1

Have you looked into the "hometype" setting in the post? This example is from MPLMASTER, but should be in the generic post too.

Change the type to "0" and you should get G50's.

home_type    : 2     #Work coordinate system: (home_type)
#       -1 = Reference return / Tool offset positioning.
#       0 = G50 with the X and Z home positions.
#       1 = X and Z home positions.
#       2 = WCS of G54, G55.... based on Mastercam settings.

The X before Z thing is more difficult and requires a bit of post experience.

Also, in my opinion, you would be better off getting you tool into a safe position using Mastercam rather than relying on the post.

I think most people would agree that retracting X before Z is considered a bad practise, and thus, why the post doesn't do it!

J

Thanks for the G50 advice. I'll try to plug that in a little later.

As for retraction protocols, I don't see how simultaneous homing is any safer than x first? In fact, I find it more likely to clip the tail stock. Help me understand where my logic is flawed?

Thanks, J

Barry

Barry, your retraction logic isn't flawed, per se. It's all about getting a safe program, and there are tons of ways to get that.

Clearing the tailstock is a totally real and valid concern.

By forcing the post to do X first, you create the risk of crashing internal tools, like boring bars and face grooving tools.

And keep in mind, that changes to the post will not visually appear in the verify window so you will not detect the "X first" retraction until it's way too late.

By making sure that each operation clears safely, on its own, you get to see that it's clear in mastercam verify.

A tailstock is a workholding device and should be treated like any other nut, bolt, or clamp; it's the programmers responsibility to avoid it.

J

Thanks for the help, J. Yes, I'm always aware of my internal tools. Maybe I'll just get one of the QTE guys to throw the mods on? I've just been editing my code for years to incorporate this behavior. Same way, I always have to strip out A0. calls in my mill programs when the 4th isn't hooked up. One of these days I'll have it running edit free...

Catch you later,

Barry