Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Associate an existing plane to geometry?

Gulligin

Is there any way to associate an existing unassociated plane to geometry to make it associated?  

In other words-  I have 20 planes that lost their association.  Is there a way to associate them to geometry or a solid face without recreating them?

I would like to rotate my model, but I need all of the planes to be associated to the model in order to rotate everything together. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but I am curious as to how you use them, and why they need to stay associated.  I have used "by geometry", but once it is created, I usually leave it.  With the dynamic rotate feature in the Planes Manager now, you can change your plane without having it rely on geometry, that you in turn adjust to change the associated plane.

For example- Say my 5axis 3+2 part has 100 faces, and I wanted to rotate my model by 20 degrees, and have all the tool planes & origins update with the rotation,  what is the easiest way? 

If all the planes were associated with the model, then they would all update with the model.

Most of my planes have lost association with the model.  I would like to re-associate all the planes to the model, so that if I have to rotate it again in the future, then everything will update.  

I don't know of a way to re-associate planes without recreating every plane, and reselecting the new planes for each of my 100 toolpath operations.

I think the easiest way in the future would be to change your workflow so as to create pairs of lines in an "L" shape on different levels for creating each of your planes.  Make them at the center of rotation if that's where you're programming from.  Then in the future the planes should retain associativity.

• Like 2

You may associate planes to a solid face as follow:

gview - by solid face - click on face, make sure to choose the appropriate orientation selection, and watch the view rotate

from plane manager right click on the plane that you wish to be associated with the solid face - dynamic plane - move to wcs origin - rotation set to graphics view THEN LEFT CLICK the box that says align with - THEN green check click.  Make sure that you do in the order stated.

If your planes are listed in different toolpath operations and you have aligned them to the face properly as above, you may now regenerate the toolpaths and they will be correct.

And if you have Varco reports for setup sheets you may quickly check all of your planes and toolplanes by operation off the list to see that they are set correctly on each toolpath.

As previously mentioned, you may associate the planes to geometry.

You may also right click in plane manager to  use incremental rotation of the planes.

I find it easy to use the gview selection by solid face so sometimes I will make a solid face from a plane surface.

On a very rare occasion in using this method (maybe 2 times in 1000 instances) you may have a B rotation output incorrectly to B0, but if you pay attention to the posting message errors it will let you know.

Review all toolpaths quickly by scrolling through quickly to show the blue line toolpaths one at a time  as well as in verify if you do not have Vericut.