Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

This horse has been beat to death but...

jlw™

I'm looking to buy a new personal rig and I have totally lost my mind. I plan to spend between $2k to $3k.

I always buy MSI but I kinda want to try something else. Maybe even a desktop. Has any one used Orbital Computers before? The MV300 configured my way comes in at $2479.

If I go desktop, are there any video cards that support 3 monitors?

If you were buying right now in my price range, what would you buy? Links please.

I would look at this and upgrade the video to the M4000 and be a tad over budget. Later on add another SSD and up to 64 gigs of ram from the 32 gigs.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m7710-workstation/pd?oc=xctomp771017us_3&model_id=precision-m7710-workstation

That is the laptop that I am using right now. Mine came with the M3000M, only 16gb of ram and the Xeon E3-1535m V5 @ 2.9ghz.

It's a nice laptop. Although it doesn't have a optical drive (becoming less and less important every year) and I am having trouble where sometimes my playback speed on Flash Player stuff just gets tanked. The only way for me to fix it is to restart my computer. I have a feeling my work is running a background application that messes with flash player.

My rule of thumb is simple. 

For Laptops, Dell Precision or anything by Asus. 

Desktops, build your own, or go with a dell precision. 

Dell precisions for Scientific or Engineering related CAD work, (Stuff quadros are REALLY made for, otherwise you're wasting $$ on overpriced cards.) 

MasterCAM runs best on Gaming cards so build your own desktop, or get an Asus Gaming Laptop with extra ram. (CAD Work can use more RAM than gamers ever really have in their rigs.) 

I just don't like Dell.

As far as I'm concerned the only laptop there is, is MSI.

I absolutely despise computer manufacturers. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. They all suck. 

The only reason I sing praises for Dell Precisions, is because they have their own entire support department at dell (which doesn't suck), and I've owned 2 of them now for work and they've both been ABSOLUTE powerhouses at doing anything really. Especially laser-tracker work. They're great. 

Never had an MSI, as I LOVE asus laptops, but I'm not much of a laptop guy anyways, so I don't pay much attention to em

I just took delivery of a HP ZBook G3 mobile workstation. I didn't go the Xeon processor, just an I7, but it did come with an Nvidia Quadro M2000M with 4Gb of video memory, 64gb ram, and two 512gb SSD drives.

Run my notebooks with a docking station connected to 2 24" monitors. It works a treat, and gives me the portability when needed.

As for gaming cards? I find Mastercam (along with pretty much all CAD/CAM software) runs best on the Quadro series of cards. The gaming cards I always had some kind of issue with.

All of our puters here at work, including 2 laptops came from these guys...

@Xi

I've been buying from them since the late 90s and have never been disappointed. But we go a little crazy with things like dual, overclocked Xeons, overclocked, water cooled I7s, dual SSDs, 64Gb RAM, etc so I've never specced anything out in your price range.

That said, I just bought a Dell Precision from the outlet like G recommended. The wife wanted a laptop around the house and I can't stand consumer grade puters.