Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Calling Ron, 5 axis flow question

jlw™

So, I get this and it's why I seldomly use morph:

nurbs.png

So, I took my arcs, converted to nurbs. Then lofted the surface. I still get that message.

I have never seen that before. What format are your files being brought in from? Have you tired saving them out as iges using save some then importing on a different level.

i use curve generated surfaces by default and have gotten that message too on numerous occasions. i'm not at my workstation so can't remember the commands exactly (i hammer on the keyboard with muscle memory) but there's a convert surfaces to nurbs command under edit or create surfs.

I have never seen that before. What format are your files being brought in from? Have you tired saving them out as iges using save some then importing on a different level.

It was a step file created by inventor by customer. All curves and surfaces created by mastercam.

I would send it to CNC and see what they have to say. No time to dig into right now. My wife is having surgery Monday and need to finish up a project tonight and tomorrow. I have a part with over 20 Morph Between 2 Curves. Imagine a bell housing for transmission. I have cut the whole surface using Morph between 2 Curves with no issue. It makes the 5 Axis machine it is cutting one dance pretty good, but nothing crazy. The 5 Axis pockets to finish the tops of heat sink area now that is a different conversation. :scooter: :scooter:

Now that the email finally came through I was able to help him. What's strange is I had no issue creating those toolpaths, it did take an abnormally long time to generate but it did without an error.

Best wishes to your wife. Here's to a smooth surgery and a quick recovery. :cheers:  

• Like 1

the iges and step specifications support curve generated surfaces. mastercam supports some of the imported curve generated types and converts the rest to nurbs. that's what jlw is seeing. i have mastercam configured to create curve generated surfaces by default. see photos above for example. that's not for importing data, that's for what is modeled in mastercam. i'm finding most if not all (i'm still learning it) of mastercam's multi axis surface toolpaths do not support support curve generated surfaces and they must be converted to nurbs or parametric. i've gotten to the point where it's almost habit to do it before programming multiaxis parts.

i could go on a blazing rant about all the glaring inconsistencies in this software, but after a quarter century of using it, meh, i'm comfortably numb and it doesn't bother me very often anymore. :lol:

the iges and step specifications support curve generated surfaces. mastercam supports some of the imported curve generated types and converts the rest to nurbs. that's what jlw is seeing. i have mastercam configured to create curve generated surfaces by default. see photos above for example. that's not for importing data, that's for what is modeled in mastercam. i'm finding most if not all (i'm still learning it) of mastercam's multi axis surface toolpaths do not support support curve generated surfaces and they must be converted to nurbs or parametric. i've gotten to the point where it's almost habit to do it before programming multiaxis parts.

i could go on a blazing rant about all the glaring inconsistencies in this software, but after a quarter century of using it, meh, i'm comfortably numb and it doesn't bother me very often anymore. :lol:

Yes sir and again I have never run into what you guys are talking about in my 15+ years of using Mastercam.