Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

aaaarrrrrrggggggggg! frikkin tab order

jlw™

Oh no, my problem isn't with Mastercam.  It's at my new job, they have Topsolid 7.  It is the most unintuitive software I have ever had the misfortune of working with.  It's powerful I'll give it that, but DAMN at all the hoops to jump through.  God forbid you need training!!  I'm sick of it,  I have never been so unproductive in my life!!  Makes me just want to push a broom all day,  then I could at least say I accomplished something!!

• Like 1

not sure if I understand the frustration but I have used mcam for over 15 years so you learn it and live with it.

am looking at a company that wants to go full out Catia. have not programmed with it but talk about unintuitive? IDK

I will use the tools put on the table unless I can talk them into and or afford my own, $20k plus software I dont think that is going to happen.

hope things settle in for you over time. eventually it will flow and then their will be an update and you get to learn all over. lol sorry just had to say it.

hang in

Doug

I already have my own seat of Mastercam 2017, bought and paid with my own money,  I do contract programming on the side.  I haven't asked if I could install it but I would guess no way.   I know 100% that I could be more productive with MC than Topsolid.  We have 6 programmers here and not one person likes TS.

Well, it sounds like you need training. Proper training. I've come from using Mastercam for over 25 years, to TopSolid. I'd say it is just like going from Mastercam to Siemens NX. Unintuitive? In my opinion (and it is only my opinion) I wouldn't describe it as that. Productive? It sure is. I've actually just come back from some training in it, and I'm loving it. Honestly, I had a 3+2 part that took me 1.5 hours to programme in Mastercam. I had it done in 45 minutes in TopSolid. And that was defining tools on the fly.

• Like 1

Mick,  I have been using Mastercam for 20 plus years myself and I did go to TopSolid training.  Like I said, I see that it is powerful but it is not in no way intuitive.

All the documents and reference files and frames and don't get me started on building the damn tools.  I am getting pissed just thinking of all the BS you have to do just to try and get a job done.  I do not want to hear about I done a job so much faster with this than MC.  Well that's just fantastic.  I have used other Cam systems and this has to be the worst software I have seen to get code onto the shop floor!  Don't think for a second that I haven't been looking for another job!

not sure if I understand the frustration but I have used mcam for over 15 years so you learn it and live with it.

am looking at a company that wants to go full out Catia. have not programmed with it but talk about unintuitive? IDK

I will use the tools put on the table unless I can talk them into and or afford my own, $20k plus software I dont think that is going to happen.

hope things settle in for you over time. eventually it will flow and then their will be an update and you get to learn all over. lol sorry just had to say it.

hang in

Doug

I'm used to it and very well settled in... just this Tab order is so aggravating.  I use the keyboard for everything and Tab order is important.  Breaks my rhythm.

• Like 1

Mick,  I have been using Mastercam for 20 plus years myself and I did go to TopSolid training.  Like I said, I see that it is powerful but it is not in no way intuitive.

All the documents and reference files and frames and don't get me started on building the damn tools.  I am getting pissed just thinking of all the BS you have to do just to try and get a job done.  I do not want to hear about I done a job so much faster with this than MC.  Well that's just fantastic.  I have used other Cam systems and this has to be the worst software I have seen to get code onto the shop floor!  Don't think for a second that I haven't been looking for another job!

Like I said, just my opinion. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Sometimes people just don't click with software. Me for example, I can and have used most all the common parametric modeling software on the market and adapted easily. When I went to purchase a CAD software I was looking at Spaceclaim because of its ability to directly modify a model. Well for me that was a mistake, I should have stuck with a parametric and not tried a direct modeler. Yes I can modify a solid but that's about it. To me it just isn't intuitive for modeling, it takes me far too long to create anything in it so I just use Mastercam. I ended up dropping support on it because it was a waste of money for me. Now I regret not going with Solidworks.

Topsolid is definitely different than Mastercam, but than again so is NX or Esprit and many others. All are high powered software's that have large followings, and they have their quarks. But to say its not intuitive is a matter of personal preference. 

As for the original topic, I use tap all the time. Nothing drives me up the wall more than when it doesn't work in something. Yes, this is something CNC needs to address. Hopefully they get it sorted before 2018 comes out. These are some of the little things that make a huge impact on power users and *real power users alike. This low hanging fruit seems to just get kicked around instead of picked up ever release. Our jobs would get significantly easier if they took care of some of these small items instead of focusing on the large flashy things the marketing team loves.

• Like 2

Just sayin'

Never had the problem :D

yeah it makes so much sense to pick my hand up and move to the mouse to click instead of tabbing and keep on typing. i guess you stephen hawking that shït then dont you? i can see you now pfff pfff pfffffff blowing on a xxxxing tube. Timmer! Timmmmerrrrrrr!

timmy.jpg

Ti    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

:D

Edit

J     Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

:laughing:

Talking about software, as anybody hear about CIMATRON... supposedly is like super good and easy to program anything with it. I just did a quick search and they are with 3dSystems and GibbsCAM. Just wonder if anybody had any experience with it.

If anything I will try to learn NX since there is plenty of good jobs that require NX experience.