Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mass edit .tooldb

chipman

What do you want to change in mass?

Give me some examples and I can help with some SQL queries you can customize yourself.

The only problem is that I don't have Mastercam neither I do know the table names other than what's shown in this pic. You will have to customize yourself.

But it's not a complex effort. I'm sure that you can handle it.

This is easy to do in the included tool manager..  Open the tool database you wish to edit, then select multiple tools, and any parameters that are displayed can be applied to everything selected.

If something can't be applied to all tools then it won't be displayed.  For example, you have a tap and an endmill selected, so thread pitch doesn't apply to all, it won't be displayed/editable on the right.

post-12334-0-90076400-1481562072_thumb.png

• Like 7

This is easy to do in the included tool manager..  Open the tool database you wish to edit, then select multiple tools, and any parameters that are displayed can be applied to everything selected.

If something can't be applied to all tools then it won't be displayed.  For example, you have a tap and an endmill selected, so thread pitch doesn't apply to all, it won't be displayed/editable on the right.

I have not tried it yet, but this will help BIG time.

It would be a nice to see the power that the Tool Manager has, any videos or articles out there describing some of this in depth?

Hmm, I can't find it.. I think it was hosted by GotoMeeting, but those webinars expire after a year.  This was for the X7 release.  If you contact your reseller, I'm sure they'd be happy to show you some of the tips and tricks on it.  I know ShopWare has a webinar on youtube from X7 that includes it, but it's a general What's New, so it's not too in depth on the Tool Manager itself.

Cheers,

• 7 months later...

I am restarting this thread as I have a need to mass edit my tool libraries. Here is the thing, I see how you can edit groups of tools in tool mgr. What I would like to do is edit speeds and feeds using using feed per tooth and SFPM. In Tool Mgr. speeds and feeds are in RPM and IPM. I am thinking that if I could get the data in an external editor, I could apply a formula that would set IPM and RPM using IPT and SFPM. I have a tool library that I have spent years setting up so that all of my fairly standard tools are correctly defined, roughly 1200 tools. I would like to have copies of these with speeds and feeds set for different matls. An outside editor and maybe a bit of help would seem to do the trick for me.

• Like 1
On 19.7.2017 at 0:31 AM, bigprody said:

I am restarting this thread as I have a need to mass edit my tool libraries. Here is the thing, I see how you can edit groups of tools in tool mgr. What I would like to do is edit speeds and feeds using using feed per tooth and SFPM. In Tool Mgr. speeds and feeds are in RPM and IPM. I am thinking that if I could get the data in an external editor, I could apply a formula that would set IPM and RPM using IPT and SFPM. I have a tool library that I have spent years setting up so that all of my fairly standard tools are correctly defined, roughly 1200 tools. I would like to have copies of these with speeds and feeds set for different matls. An outside editor and maybe a bit of help would seem to do the trick for me.

Sounds like a useful programming project for somebody with extra time. Nobody would do this by hand in editor.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:49 AM, SlaveCam said:

Sounds like a useful programming project for somebody with extra time. Nobody would do this by hand in editor.

I hear you. With ever evolving toolpaths, Now that same tool is capable of  A WHOLE LOT of new circumstances.  

DEFINE A PROGRAMMER - Wouldn't this fit under a programmer title?  How bout some HSM FBM? :D

Truly just looking at getting the point tools setup. Drills, spot drills, taps, reamers, I should be able to set up speeds and feeds and be able to count on them working out on the floor fairly well . Speeds and feeds for the mills, to many variables,  so much is dependent on the particular application. We run mostly short run jobs, 1 to 5 parts. As finding good help is close to impossible I am training some intelligent but very green apprentices. My hope is to standardize and automate some of the programming process. They can then use an app such as FS Wizard to get them in the ballpark when it comes to milling.

Exporting to text might work. The list does not seem to have any organization as far as tool type but I should be able to struggle thru writing a VB app that can read the data in, apply a formula and then write it back to another file.

• 8 months later...

Bringing this thread back on this one. I actually have a very similar case where I want to do a mass edit on all of our tool assemblies. The problem is, all of the tools in our library are from years ago and they all have an "Imported Holder" attached to every tool. I can go thru and delete the holder, but have to do it individually and then add our ER16 or 32 holder respectively. There are 973 tools that are in the assembly with that imported holder on them.

Is there a quick and easy way of editing all of the assemblies?

imported holders.jpg

You can also export as text and import as text.  You may be able to simply open it in excel and delete the colomn you wish.  I have never tried - never needed to but it may be possible.  However, you would do this from the integrated tool manager.