Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Screenshots of old Mastercam releases

Watcher

It just crossed my mind how early Mastercam releases looked like...

Saw a screenshot in one of the posts with a footer note "CNC Software 1983-2016"

Seldom we remember how long these tools have been around...

Does anyone have pics of early Mastercam releases, like V1, V2, V3?

I'm very curious about how the UI looked like back then...

• Like 2

I started and learn mastercam on v2.0 when it was still DOS base op system, if I remember right picture v7. with out icon bar, you selected through menu ,

which you still can do up to ver x6.. I'm not sure about newer vers. cause i'm stuck at ver 6 for now .. grrr.. :-)

Didn't you beta test V1?

:D

No.. my first software was Anciam 1.0

no mouse.. 13' four color screen, 2 8" floppy drives

you drew and drove toolpaths with keyboard commands

line1= ya2.

would draw a line of infinite length at Y2.0

c1 = P[2,2] d4

would draw a 4" circle at X2 Y2

toolpaths would be ..

rapid P1[Z2.0]

feed P1 [Z0]

feed line 1, arc 1, line 2, arc 3, line 4   etc etc etc

would could do simple pocketing routines... but it was very difficult

The system cost $12K new ... I bought it used in the mid 80's for $300

There was no tech support and no internet. and 2 instruction books 4" thick

It took me a long time to figure it out

My first experience with Mastercam was V5 at Saddleback Community College in Santa Ana

I first made chips with Mastercam when I bought a seat of V7 Level 1 lathe and mill in 1988

• Like 1

Just going off of memory....V5 was the first to look like the V9 interface that we all have seen. Before that I don't really remember...might of not had the icon's across the top.

V7 was the first to have any kind of associativity.....but only on 2d toolpaths.

I believe solids were introduced in V8

Started on v5.5 myself. Don't think I still have the install disks for v5.5, but I believe I have v7 and/or v9 installs. Pretty sure toolbar across top started in v9 (didn't use v8 so not sure on that), rarely used it. Loved the menu on the left side. V7 is where association started, and boy did that take some getting used to. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it also v7 where they started controlling lead in/lead and CDC in the toolpath parameters? I remember in v5.5 I had to create geometry needed to turn cdc on and off (wasn't bad before association because you could just delete the geometry once you created the toolpath) and extend the geometry so you didn't plunge or rapid into stock. I also believe it was v9 (could have been v7, it was a long time ago) when MC became stock aware on lathe only IIRC. It was neat because instead of having to create every DOC when roughing a forging (so you could trim every line to the stock profile so you knew you weren't rapiding into stock) MC just used the stock clearance you set it up with and wham bam thank you ma'am you were done.

Those early versions required you to really know what you were doing and you had to mentally keep track of stock shape. File ext. was ge3 up until v9 when it changed to putting version number (or a derivative) in it; ie mc9 was for v9., mcx was v10. That lasted for a version or two, then they started using mcx-*(2nd digit of version number).

Ohhh the memories.

G, I know this was your first CAM system...

:laughing:

actually my first CAM system was an HP rpn calculator .

I wrote a bunch of macros to solve bolt circles and solve arc endpoints for

endmills machining outside radii.

Twenty years of CAM systems has made me stupid and lazy

I couldn't write those macro's today to save my life :help:

Who's old enough to remember trig and log tables ???

and slide rules  :laughing:  :laughing:

• Like 2