Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

simple 2 d contour question

cherokeechief79

i have a contour that I am using depth cuts and multi passes on.

im using a sharp aluminum insert cutter and the depth of cut is shallow.

when it gets down towards the bottom it leaves just a thin sliver on the floor that im afraid is going to fold and not cut taking my insets out.using depth cuts along with multi passes is there a way to have it cut the depth cuts down to the final depth before advancing to the next multi pass or am I going to need to add a lot of operations to accomplish this?

• Like 1

In these situations, I intentionally leave a bit of a flap of steel on the bottom...something like 1/8 inch (something strong enough that it won't suck up in between the tool and the part). Then I take one pass, conventional cut, deep enough to cut the flap off in one shot. Doesn't matter if the flat is larger than the tool diameter. The conventional cut ensures that the flap gets pushed out and away as it's being cut. Maybe leave an extra .005-.010 XY stock on this pass.

It's not something that I would cut unattended, I always make sure I'm there when it does this final pass. I've done it hundreds of times with no issue.

tried that. it doesn't work with multi passes.

looks like im going to have to copy this op 10 times without multi passes.

yup you are correct, as of now that is what you have to do..

unless you ramp 2d contour..

when ramping it go from top to bottom then move in on mulit-pass

hth

Ron