Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Debate on MCX avoiding fixtures based on settings or colors?

honeybunches

Got in a debate with a guy that programs with MCX and I could have sworn there was a simple way to simply tell MCX "this is a fixture, don't hit it".  Now, this might just be my bad memory when playing with custom lathe tool holders and he only plays with mills. 

He was mentioning tricky rotations with 4 axis HMCs to not hit tombstones, vises, etc.  Previously they would retract the Z way back.  

What are the options there?  I think they have X5 or X7 now.  

This is purely just an inquiry, I don't have any specific issue at the moment.  

I have my Mazak post set up in a way that I can control at the operation level the Z retract distance via misc reals....

My default is 7" but it I have a rotation or have to jump a fixture, I can set it right in the operation

I sometimes have to set my clearance plane way up because simulation doesn't pick up the moves but up posting, it's all there

Yeah, I think I hard coded a mill post to lift the Z when moving to another offset.  I decided it was a small price (in time) to pay for a little safety.  

But I thought there was a way to set a fixture "color" and MCX will see that as a "do not hit that" kinda deal?  Sounds like not?  

I guess I find some folks post out and "let'r fly".  I like to put in some M01s and sometimes with block deletes so I can monitor things closer on a first run.