Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Please help me get better at area roughing

SlaveCam

In the example file, I am roughing a large chamfer to a solid block of steel using a 35mm (1.4 inches) fast feed cutter. The first operation refuses to cut down enough, the second operation cuts everything but also cuts too much air. How would you overcome this problem and is there a better roughing operation for this?

TEST.mcam

1st one I change it to outside to start. I created a stock model to work from. I then redid your toolpaths and OP2 cut no air now, but cuts all the way down to the bottom. That toolpath seems like it is not doing what you want, but it is leaving 1mm of stock in that place if you work out the solution to that volume that is left then it looks wrong, but it is what you said leave. I have done OP2 with a stock model many times and get what you see in the file linked. I will even have several Stock Models that are progress models to make the Rest Toolpaths do more of what I want.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q1jb9m66q0v93k/5th%20Axis%20%20HST%20TEST-1.mcam?dl=0

HTH

• Like 1

Area rough and then Area Rest are Legit toolpaths .....

WORD lol

I use Surface rough pocket / 3D leftover less and less every MC release it seems

Fred I have not used Surface Rough pocket in years. I want to keep moving and now I am almost spoiled anytime a toolpath locks up Mastercam to calculate it's toolpaths. A toolpath not processing in the Multi Thread Manager and I feel like I am watching paint dry if I have to watch Mastercam sit there and think. I remember starting a program on Thursday in V9 to calculate the toolpaths and coming back Monday and it was still processing. I was hoping there would be no power failure over the weekend. I had 2 computers I worked on one would be crunching toolpaths and I would work on the other then the next one would start crunching toolpaths and I would come to the forum and post stuff. Now I don't have that kind of time why I don't post as much as I use too.

• Like 1