Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rest roughing with .stl files

sosnowski127

Has anyone figured out how to stop Mastercam rest roughing toolpaths from losing .stl files?  I recently upgraded to 2017 hoping this problem had been resolved.  Unfortunately, it hasn't.  The only solution I've come up with is simply locking the toolpath.

merge the stl into your file as mesh

use the mesh to define a stock model

use the stock model as rest stock in your toolpath

it makes for some big files, but it's rock solid

merge the stl into your file as mesh

use the mesh to define a stock model

use the stock model as rest stock in your toolpath

it makes for some big files, but it's rock solid

How we go about it. Using external files for us creates problems for our customers. If must live in one file on levels. Murlin taught me to solve the non solid STL you must save the Pmesh to the level using the Right Click save Stock model to Pmesh then reference back to that Pmesh level to get a solid STL to use for the same stock model you just created using the STL. Ben taught me the CTRL key to remove source operations in the Stock model you were just in to remove the reference toolpaths you needed to create the Pmesh that you are not using to be that same as the one used moving forward.

Now you are golden and rock solid.

• Like 2