Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FINKEL ?

HEAVY METAL

Heavy,

I could be wrong, I looked all over the net for info and couldn't find anything, but.... just wondering... We get a lot of our forgings from a place in Chicago call Finkel Forgings, could this be the company the material came from and not the material itself? Just a shot in the dark, sorry if I am wrong.

Greg

I been machining Finkle for 20 years, what you need to know smile.gif

FX2, WF, A and B block.

Very high Nickle content.

Work hardens easy.

If you have a good HASS you can use a Kennmetel 1" Ball at 4600 RPM 85 IPM .05 deep 50 % stepover.

Slabbing running TNMA438 .125 deep at 383 RPM with a 3 flute 2" Dia futuremill at 5 IPM, 1 3/4 stepover.

If you have a good 2" Iscar or Ingersol 3 fl helimill, you can run about .2 deep at 700RPM around 12 IPM, 1.75 stepover

1/4" Tilan coated finishing around 9k RPM @ .005 deep steps, 100 IPM.....

That ought to get you started....

Murlin

[ 02-26-2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Good Day,

What kinda matl. is finkle.?.?.More info

Please

Thanks in advance.

Tony G

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

--------------------------------------------------

I have been machining Finkl steel for the last 40 years. All of our forging dies are made from this steel. It is not a big deal to cut- have used high speed and carbide to cut it. Have used Bridgeports, hydrotels and Haas CNC's to machine it.

Gary Armitstead

Santa Fe Enterprises

Santa Fe Springs, CA

high speed drill will work for a very short time unless it is a cobalt drill. If you want to see an impressive face mill for fx t2 look at a iscar feedmill 3" dia 450 rpm .07 DOC 80 IPM. Just be careful it is a torque/horsepower hog. I have stalled our spindle and wadded a cutter up. as for feeds and sppeds on a drill it depends on the diameter. I would also go carbide on the drill if it is something you are going do be doing very much. It will last much longer and get better feedrate. My family and I have been working with finkl die steel for a combined total of like eighty years (three of us) and search for A finkl and sons.

quote:

Wow someone said hydrotel. I've run one recently. What a monster

The CNC is taking over. We just use our hydrotel's to shank our dieblocks.

quote:

FX2?

Good Luck.

I hate that stuff!!!

It's not that bad....

Used M2 to cut it with for years.

HSS you need at least 6% cobalt and a tool and cutter grinder......

For drilling, you just need to keep the SS low if you are going to use just plain HSS. use coolant....sharpen after each couple of holes when your drill gets a couple thousanths of taper worn on the sides.

My Pony with a 1" drill HSS drill, no centerdrill, can poke a hole 1 1/2" deep in FX2 in just a few seconds.

Hydrotels rock for massive metal removal biggrin.gif

Murlin

Hey I liked my old tracer hydrotel and the other one we had could take a 2" rougher and bury it and take a cut all day long in toolsteel. We dumped a gallon of bleach in our every week to kill the smeel but was impressed by the machines when I got started out in a Tool & Die shop back in Jville. IWe had an old VTL with a 144" swing also and that was about as much fun to run as walking through a castus farm blindfolded and naked.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

• Like 1

We have a shop with about a dozen hydrotels in it. They are only used for roughing. NO machine comes close to hogging metals like these brutes. They are literally indestructible!! You can't give them away now. They are usually scrapped out for the lead in the counter-balance. When I first started in the diesinking trade in the early sixties, these machines new were going for 200K to 300K for a 28inch X 120 inch machine with 40 HP chain-drive. Now scrapped for 100-200 bucks! We drill pin-holes for guides into Finkl blocks with high-speed spade drills up to 6 inch diameter and 12 inches deep or more with large radial arm drill presses with NO problem. A lot of younger ones on this forum must be thinking these machines must be from another century, but in our shop they co-exist with Haas cnc's and two stations of MasterCam 9.1 SP2!

Gary Armitstead

Santa Fe Enterprises

Santa Fe Springs, CA

• Like 1
  • 10 years later...

I have been machining Finkl steel for the last 40 years. All of our forging dies are made from this steel. It is not a big deal to cut- have used high speed and carbide to cut it. Have used Bridgeports, hydrotels and Haas CNC's to machine it.

Gary Armitstead

Santa Fe Enterprises

Santa Fe Springs, CA

Can you help me choose a high speed cutter to machine FX2 I am doing cores and have to machine deep pocket on back side and rough and surface front side

thanks,

Gary Armitstead

Santa Fe Enterprises

Santa Fe Springs, CA

Any help choosing a insert cutter and speeds and feeds would be great thanks,

PM me if you want

Any help would be appreciated.  I know some of you guys have so much experience machining FX2.  I can send a file

etc... my main concern is getting a insert cutter that will machine at high speed to save time.  Thanks in advance..

The surface finishing is not going to be the problem.

The problem is getting all the material out of the way quickly.  The pocket on the back side of the die is 3.3 inches deep in some spots. the pocket size is 10 x 12 . We are removing the material for weight purposes. the front side has 2- 45 degree cuts. The dies are 5.5 inches thick.  I need to get down to within .020 on the front side. I will be using a isgar .750 ball inset cutter to finish surfacing. the cores when cast will produce a 14 inch rim/ wheel.

Thank You

mike