Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

License "borrowing"

JB7280

We have multiple server licenses.  In order to use Mastercam from home, or away from the shop, I have to access the server via VPN then access Mastercam that way.  I know that Solidworks, and some other CAM platforms allow you to "borrow" or "check out" a license while you're on the server, which you can then use later, without access to the server.  Then once you're back at the shop, you "return" that license.  

Does Mastercam have a feature like this?

29 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

We have multiple server licenses.  In order to use Mastercam from home, or away from the shop, I have to access the server via VPN then access Mastercam that way.  I know that Solidworks, and some other CAM platforms allow you to "borrow" or "check out" a license while you're on the server, which you can then use later, without access to the server.  Then once you're back at the shop, you "return" that license.  

Why and were a HASP is better for these types of situations.

16 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I understand that, unfortunately, I don't call the shots.  In the past, I believe they did it so most of the machinists had access to Mastercam.  But now we've moved to having dedicated programmers, just stuck with the network licenses.

2 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

CNC Software is forcing Mill/Turn users to a software license. My guess is eventually the HASP will disappear.

To be fair, with the software license, I can un-register it at work, go home, register it, do some work. Just would have to remember to un-register it at home.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

CNC Software is forcing Mill/Turn users to a software license. My guess is eventually the HASP will disappear.

To be fair, with the software license, I can un-register it at work, go home, register it, do some work. Just would have to remember to un-register it at home.

That's a shame. I liked my hasps.

But yes, i could take mine home, do some work, and then remember to take it back to work...and not drop it/lose it etc.

16 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

By HASP, you mean, you mean the physical "dongle"?

20 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Have reached out to your dealer about this.

CNC Software has been in the process of moving away from all "Hard Hasps" (standalone or network), and are adopting a new 'Software Licensing' tool. This is "Wi-Bu". I think since around X9, Mastercam has been built to include both 'architecutures' for how to handle licensing.

The Wi-Bu licensing function has more capabilities than the Hasps did. For example, you can "check out" a license from work, and use that license on a different computer.

The trick that CNC Software usually employs is to "add a parallel function" to Mastercam, so that function can be fully debugged in the real world, before they force everyone to make the switch.

Eventually, new releases of Mastercam will no longer support a hard hasp for licensing, and you'll only be able to use Wi-Bu licensing, once that switch occurs.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

Have reached out to your dealer about this.

Yes.  Our reseller said he didn't think there was a borrowing feature available through Mastercam, and VPN would be the best way to do it.  Unfortunately I've had issues with using a license through VPN, though I can't blame Mastercam, or the reseller for that.

17 hours ago, mayday said:

easiest fix,

don't take work home with you

The primary reason is because I have accidentally finagled myself into a position that may be more advanced than I am. (read: over my head).  I can make it happen, but not as efficiently as I'd like, so I'd like to bring Mastercam home for training purposes, and to improve myself.

2 hours ago, JB7280 said:

The primary reason is because I have accidentally finagled myself into a position that may be more advanced than I am. (read: over my head).  I can make it happen, but not as efficiently as I'd like, so I'd like to bring Mastercam home for training purposes, and to improve myself.

My guess is that your Reseller has not been introduced to the new functionality available with WiBu. Try contacting CNC Software directly for WiBu help. I know WiBu has the capability. Now, whether the interface CNC Software built, is capable of allowing you to check out the license, that I'm not sure of. So it is possible that this isn't allowed yet, but I'm doubtful. I think that feature is supported by WiBu, so it would be worth asking the question. 

4 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

My guess is that your Reseller has not been introduced to the new functionality available with WiBu. Try contacting CNC Software directly for WiBu help. I know WiBu has the capability. Now, whether the interface CNC Software built, is capable of allowing you to check out the license, that I'm not sure of. So it is possible that this isn't allowed yet, but I'm doubtful. I think that feature is supported by WiBu, so it would be worth asking the question. 

WiBu is Codemeter, right?

5 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Hopefully still perpetual...

As in works like a USB so you'll always have it...?

2 hours ago, JoshC said:

yes they still perpetual and potentially more difficult to lose because its not a psychical piece of hardware plugged into the pc. 

I wonder about this. Say I go off of maintenance for whatever reason. 2 years later my computer fries. With a physical key/hasp, no problem. With it being a software license and it was never "deactivated" before the computer died...do you get a hold of your ex-dealer to get things reactivated? Or are you going to have to pony up some $$$ to get it back going?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

I wonder about this. Say I go off of maintenance for whatever reason. 2 years later my computer fries. With a physical key/hasp, no problem. With it being a software license and it was never "deactivated" before the computer died...do you get a hold of your ex-dealer to get things reactivated? Or are you going to have to pony up some $$$ to get it back going?

Possession in 9/10ths of the law...

4 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

I imagine it would be the same scenario if one lost their physical key/hasp 2 years after being off of maintenance. What that would entail....I hope to never find out.

From what I remember, it requires paying at least a "lost hasp fee", which I believe wasn't super expensive. (Not sure I can name the price without getting in trouble, so let's say "about the cost of a mid-range grill from Home Depot".) For "stolen" hasps, they want to see a police report. I'm not sure they even do replacements if you just "lost" the Hasp. Again, possession being 9/10ths of the law, they might not be too sympathetic, since someone unscrupulous could just say "hey, I lost my hasp", and get a 2nd one if they were lenient. I believe that every Hasp requires at least yearly updates to keep them running. Actually, I'm not sure about the industrial "permanent" hasps... 

• Like 1