Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis engraving question

Mcam Nut

I have a part to  machine that has engraving around a radius using a rotary axis.  I would normally use axis substitution to do this, but for this part the radius is not going to be centered on the rotary axis.  is there a way to do this without the multiaxis option for mastercam? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mcam Nut said:

I have a part to  machine that has engraving around a radius using a rotary axis.  I would normally use axis substitution to do this, but for this part the radius is not going to be centered on the rotary axis.  is there a way to do this without the multiaxis option for mastercam? 

Thanks

3+1 (X,Y,Z =3) (4th Axis =1) it in multiple operations. If you can pick a good enough position to use a lollipop tool then might give that a try in one operation so you don't have to worry about the side of the endmill swarfing the engraving. Once you start trying to toolpath with a standard ball endmill you understand what I am saying about the swarfing effect and where the lollipop will not to a point. May have to go all the way up to a 300 degree lollipop if you can find one smallest enough to do what your after. If not then break it up and so what you can at each index as normal 3+1 to the area your cutting and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, Mcam Nut said:

Yes that would be an option, would rather have square corners if possible.  im looking at the  rolldie chook now, do you think this would work?  It dosn't look exact in backplot, looks a bit closer in verify. might have a couple settings off

Roll die might get you closer, but it was really meant to keep the center of the tool tangent to the edge it is cutting to create the shape need to use a roll die in cam situation. Can't hurt to try, but sharp corners in the floor normal means to me you will have to re fixture making that section on center line to the 4th axis. Can cheat here and there if not to far off center, but if extremely off center to the 4th axis you have got a good fight on your hands without the Multiaxis option. Even with the Multiaxis there would only be so much that will help you over come. 

Thanks Ron, I would like to try the rolldie to see if it works out, but in reality my safest option might be to re-fixture it to the center line.   too bad there wasnt a feature to adjust the center of rotary diameter and still keep your plane to the center of the rotary axis

8 minutes ago, Mcam Nut said:

Thanks Ron, I would like to try the rolldie to see if it works out, but in reality my safest option might be to re-fixture it to the center line.   too bad there wasnt a feature to adjust the center of rotary diameter and still keep your plane to the center of the rotary axis

Well there is a feature to do that, but your running into Physical limitations on your machine is the real problem here not producing the code. You can move your WCS to that Point and repost the code, but then the problem is going to be the calculations are not from the same center. Multiaxis like I said would only get you so far. I talked about swarfing and what your going to run into naturally without the part being perfectly on center of rotation to what your trying to engrave is that very problem. You might get the floor somewhat flat, but the walls are going to be all over the place. You run the risk of letters looking inconstitent and not be the same width. If we are only talking a small amount off center might be okay, but if were talking a lot then the problem is just going to get worse the more off center your lettering is. Again shooting in the dark here without seeing a model, what your exact part setup and other things are. 

You can ask your reseller for a trial of the 5 axis paths.  Maybe this will help you prove the value of these paths to the powers that be?  I use Curve 5 Axis for this quite often.  If you only have to do this one, shoot me a zip to go and I'll send back posted code assuming you have everything but the tool path (part located, tool defined, etc).

11 hours ago, jlw™ said:

You can ask your reseller for a trial of the 5 axis paths.  Maybe this will help you prove the value of these paths to the powers that be?  I use Curve 5 Axis for this quite often.  If you only have to do this one, shoot me a zip to go and I'll send back posted code assuming you have everything but the tool path (part located, tool defined, etc).

yea you could request an evaluation or trial of multiaxis or the curve toolpath. I like project curve the best for 5x engraving but the curve toolpath does a fine job as well and curve can be purchased by itself. Or you could do 3+2 using a custom plane and the 3D project toolpath. Just make sure you only pick 1 surface if you dont  have the mill3d license, if you only have mill then you can only select 1 surface with the 3d project toolpath. There is some vids on youtube on how to engrave with the project toolpath in mastercam if you have not done that before.