Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Vibratory Tumbler Info?

Rob B

I am looking to purchase a small vibratory tumbler to run small parts in. I have no clue what to buy or stay away from. Most of the parts I run can be held in the palm of your hand. I don't want to buy something that is too small and will not do a good job, but floor space is a premium in my shop at this point. MSC has some, but I want to make sure I get "the best bang for my buck". Please share any information you might have on these. Also what type of media do you use. I make steel , Stainless steel and alum parts.

47 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I am looking to purchase a small vibratory tumbler to run small parts in. I have no clue what to buy or stay away from. Most of the parts I run can be held in the palm of your hand. I don't want to buy something that is too small and will not do a good job, but floor space is a premium in my shop at this point. MSC has some, but I want to make sure I get "the best bang for my buck". Please share any information you might have on these. Also what type of media do you use. I make steel , Stainless steel and alum parts.

Get a hold of your local tooling company and see who they recommend. 

1 hour ago, jeff said:

We can't give recommendations until you tell us how big you're looking for.

https://www.burrking.com/catalog/p-100027/models-150-200-vibra-king-bench-top-bowls-combi-paks

This is kind of what I am looking at.  Not sure on the Sump filtration or Filter Pak

Or

https://cmtopline.com/collections/vibratory-bowls/products/tlv-75-3-4-cubic-foot?variant=36531298187

Don't know what is the better machine. I want to buy the better machine so I only spend one time.

10 minutes ago, Rob B said:

https://www.burrking.com/catalog/p-100027/models-150-200-vibra-king-bench-top-bowls-combi-paks

This is kind of what I am looking at.  Not sure on the Sump filtration or Filter Pak

Or

https://cmtopline.com/collections/vibratory-bowls/products/tlv-75-3-4-cubic-foot?variant=36531298187

Don't know what is the better machine. I want to buy the better machine so I only spend one time.

You will want filtration and the filter pack. The last thing you want to do it reintroduce silvers of metal and other particles you just removed from the part.  Been 30 years ago, but we use to use Walnut shells from the Walnut Packing plants to run ours. Pecan shells work really good. 

• Thanks 1

if you are going with vibratory, I hope you have a spare soundproof room for it. or real good ear protection.

I suggest a rotary tumbler,  much more quiet and efficient IMHO, you can get multiple barrels and just swap them out so you can tumble while your guy sorts parts.

plus you don't have contamination issues tumbling different jobs/materials.

MSC has a 8.5 gallon for like $1200.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

if you are going with vibratory, I hope you have a spare soundproof room for it. or real good ear protection.

I suggest a rotary tumbler,  much more quiet and efficient IMHO, you can get multiple barrels and just swap them out so you can tumble while your guy sorts parts.

plus you don't have contamination issues tumbling different jobs/materials.

MSC has a 8.5 gallon for like $1200.

This is the type of info that I need shared with me. I have never been around automated finishing process. Every place I have worked has had manual de-burring. Me and a file, center-drill, sandpaper. Now that I have my own shop, I am looking to invest in making my parts look the best thy can with an automated procedure. Open to more ideas that might be a better fit for me.

Mastercam also has some sweet deburring Toolpaths, including a new 5-Axis path, just for deburring. The more you can do "on the machine", the more consistent your parts and processes can be. It also depends a great deal on the size of your parts, the number of edges, and how you order the Operations to make the part.

For example, on a multi-vise setup, I like to use a .750 diameter carbide Drill, with a 90 degree tip, modified with combination 140 degree included drill point. The 140 degree tip intersects the 90 degree cone, at .500 diameter. What this gives you is a .500 Spot drill, @ 140 degrees. (I also like 120), and you still get a .125 wide x 45 deg chamfered edge. So you can spot your OP10 or OP20 holes, and then run outside edge deburring without changing tools. 2 birds - one stone - sort of thing.

• Like 1