Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

create a radially cut part thru part

HEAVY METAL

since we cant extrude cut normal to a surface we can use fence surface to accomplish this task, and from there the surface can be used to cut the solid.

First project the shape onto the surface (Transform Project)

then convert the multiple entities to 1 spline (on the wireframe tab, click the drop down for Spline Manual and choose Spline from curves, choose the projected geometry and make sure to choose delete original curves so you are left with 1 single spline)

Then create a surface from the face of the part, and use a Fence surface to build the slot. (found on surface tab, called Fence) which will get you to the point i am at in the image below..

Then the last step is if you want the slot cut through the solid to go to your solids tab and choose Trim to surface (found under the trim to plane dropdown) 

if the above doesn't make sense then if you can send your file i can put together an example.

Capture1.PNG

2.PNG

• Like 3
On 12/25/2019 at 7:23 AM, JoshC said:

since we cant extrude cut normal to a surface we can use fence surface to accomplish this task, and from there the surface can be used to cut the solid.

First project the shape onto the surface (Transform Project)

then convert the multiple entities to 1 spline (on the wireframe tab, click the drop down for Spline Manual and choose Spline from curves, choose the projected geometry and make sure to choose delete original curves so you are left with 1 single spline)

Then create a surface from the face of the part, and use a Fence surface to build the slot. (found on surface tab, called Fence) which will get you to the point i am at in the image below..

Then the last step is if you want the slot cut through the solid to go to your solids tab and choose Trim to surface (found under the trim to plane dropdown) 

if the above doesn't make sense then if you can send your file i can put together an example.

Capture1.PNG

2.PNG

Josh not exactly what he was looking for. You doing it to a radial surface and he needs it to a conic surface. Need to draw the solid and then work from the conical surface. The trick is getting the start and end points, but not really all that hard once we do some basic CAD work.

Heavy Metal I have made the solid without the simple stuff and detailed the levels and the solids manager to hopefully help you on your path to make your own solid. I went ahead and put a toolpath it to give you an idea how you could go about it. Not that is all that good just a way I would try to approach it.

Mastercam file

Here is a video of that part being cut in Machine sim. I also made a video showing how i moved the arcs to the start and end of the slots to help with model creation.

Maching Slot in Machinesim

Slot Creation start using Dynamic Transform

• Like 4
2 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Josh not exactly what he was looking for. You doing it to a radial surface and he needs it to a conic surface. Need to draw the solid and then work from the conical surface. The trick is getting the start and end points, but not really all that hard once we do some basic CAD work.

I have made the solid without the simple stuff and detailed the levels and the solids manager to hopefully help you on your path to make your own solid. I went ahead and put a toolpath it to give you an idea how you could go about it. Not that is all that good just a way I would try to approach it.

Mastercam file

Here is a video of that part being cut in Machine sim. I also made a video showing how i moved the arcs to the start and end of the slots to help with model creation.

Maching Slot in Machinesim

Slot Creation start using Dynamic Transform

yea i didn't draw a cone out but fence surface works of conical surfaces too of course. so even though the example in my image was a radial surface and not a conical surface it would still work for him i believe. There is more than one way to get this done it appears, your method looks like it worked but i bet this fence surface method is faster for me because i have used fence surfaces so much in the past.

also after testing this it looks like fence surface builds it in just 1 surface so all that stuff i mentioned earlier about converting the geometry to a single spline is not needed since fence did a nice job of keeping it 1 single surface which is what we want to trim the solid.

ddddd.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JoshC said:

yea i didn't draw a cone out but fence surface works of conical surfaces too of course. so even though the example in my image was a radial surface and not a conical surface it would still work for him i believe. There is more than one way to get this done it appears, your method looks like it worked but i bet this fence surface method is faster for me because i have used fence surfaces so much in the past. Really the Key here is getting just 1 surface so we can trim the solid to the surface so to get 1 surface using fence we would need to do the spline conversion i talked about earlier. 

ddddd.jpg

If you looked at my file you will see I used fence surface to create a visual set of surfaces I could then use to make sure the shape I came up with was correct. I did try the fence surface as one surface to try to trim the solid and Mastercam didn't like it. I think that is because it was flush I think if I had offset the original surface .1 higher then projected the chains to that offset surface and made a fence surface that went through the correct amount it might have worked.  I use Fence all the time for Multi Axis roughing and that is another way in which this part could be roughed. Make a floor surface by offsetting the conical surface the distance needed to be deep enough. Then use the fence surface and the wall check surface. Now a programmer has a completely different way to approaching roughing the part. Print called out taking 1-3/4 endmill and just machining it so they don't care about how it looks just want clearance and normally for these type of flanges it to allow air to get into the motor for cooling.

• Like 2

Josh I went back and made a single Fence surface to try to do the Solid Trim to surface and I get a face imprint error. The way i went about creating the solid is the only way I can get to work. i have trimmed all kid of things over the years using trim to surface, but not a shape like this. Can you give ti a try and see what I am doing wrong? Thank you. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Greg Williams said:

I think we really need to rotate a round solid around the part to get the actual shape, maybe something like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/654gmj5y1i476y5/5TH AXIS 1166-1028-000W MOTOR FLANGE.mcam?dl=0

I tired it originally and it wasn't coming out correctly. I now realize I drew that original rectangle wrong. Look on Level 1 you can see my mistake. Thank you for catching my mistake.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Josh I went back and made a single Fence surface to try to do the Solid Trim to surface and I get a face imprint error. The way i went about creating the solid is the only way I can get to work. i have trimmed all kid of things over the years using trim to surface, but not a shape like this. Can you give ti a try and see what I am doing wrong? Thank you. 

yea trimming the solid with the surface worked for me but i did extend the surface past both ends of the solid as shown below. i always try to keep my surfaces extended past the solid i want to trim because if it falls short if can fail.

222.jpg

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, JoshC said:

yea trimming the solid with the surface worked for me but i did extend the surface past both ends of the solid as shown below. i always try to keep my surfaces extended past the solid i want to trim because if it falls short if can fail.

222.jpg

Josh. I had 1" past on both sides and still didn't work. Must be something I am missing just like the revolve I where I had the wrong chain and it wasn't coming out correctly that Greg got working. Thanks and have a good day.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Josh. I had 1" past on both sides and still didn't work. Must be something I am missing just like the revolve I where I had the wrong chain and it wasn't coming out correctly that Greg got working. Thanks and have a good day.

its cool, we are probably the only ones looking at this cuz the original poster has not even responded, maybe he is off for the holidays but there is no point of looking into this anymore in my opinion until he responds. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, JoshC said:

its cool, we are probably the only ones looking at this cuz the original poster has not even responded, maybe he is off for the holidays but there is no point of looking into this anymore in my opinion until he responds. 

Josh, i am always learning and trying to develop my skills. I know how to machine this and make a toolpath for this by hand with pencil and paper if push come to shove if I had to. Hopefully he is helped and I have personalty helped him many times over the years and part the reason of why I am part of this forum and have not left.

#1 to help those as best I can. Not that have it all figured out or even all that good plenty better than me.

#2 is to get better and learn what I don't know.

Thank you for doing both for not only me but for others I appreciate it.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4
On 12/27/2019 at 12:30 PM, JoshC said:

I’m sorry not getting back to all of you . I have been off for some of the holiday . Then got into another difficult job. Josh’s idea is the one started with .I did create the solid . I just revolved the cad I had and used that geo. Then I tilted the part to 35 deg  to make the surface perpendicular to the Z . I was able then to create the fenced surface. I was not too worried about the position . I just wanted to see if I could trim the  surface to create the surface . That’s when I got an error or it just seemed mastercam just ignored the command. I have reading thru all the results and see if I can replicate what everyone has been helping me with . I’m at home with out access to mastercam. I hope Monday I can get back to that file . I’m just finishing another hot job.? Thanks for all the responses.I hope everyone leaned something. I will let everyone know my progress. Hopefully I can recreate it .

HAPPY New Year !

Well looks like everything is saved 2020  version  . Damn  .    My company did not pick up maintenance for 2020 . Not sure why . They have been pretty good   about it the last 4  versions .  Got in a pickle when they let it lapse for a long time    Like  mc5 to 2017 .  Wanting to do some  complex  parts  and I had to really push because the software was so outdated . Almost moved on  . Been  working for one company my whole life 28-29 yrs   .                   

On 12/27/2019 at 1:24 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Josh, i am always learning and trying to develop my skills. I know how to machine this and make a toolpath for this by hand with pencil and paper if push come to shove if I had to. Hopefully he is helped and I have personalty helped him many times over the years and part the reason of why I am part of this forum and have not left.

#1 to help those as best I can. Not that have it all figured out or even all that good plenty better than me.

#2 is to get better and learn what I don't know.

Thank you for doing both for not only me but for others I appreciate it.

Yea gregs solution i like best too after taking another look at his file. 

Here is a quick run down of the method greg used sicne you cant open his file.

First he revolved the slot, only the straight section as shown below

1.jpg

Then he added the circular ends with a solid extrude, then combined the solid together with Boolean Add, which gives us what is shown in the image below. 

2.jpg

And that solid above can of course be used for a Boolean remove against the entire solid. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to replicate this  and instead using  Boolean  to add the radius ends I just extended the sweep to the length of slot then used solid fillet to create the full radius ends . Then did the  Boolean remove . This is why this forum is so great .  I would have struggled a lot more without everyone chipping in . 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, HEAVY METAL said:

I was able to replicate this  and instead using  Boolean  to add the radius ends I just extended the sweep to the length of slot then used solid fillet to create the full radius ends . Then did the  Boolean remove . This is why this forum is so great .  I would have struggled a lot more without everyone chipping in . 

I encourage every mastercam user to take advantage of the forums, both this one and mastercams official forum, the people who you see here and there regularly are some of the smartest and best mastercam users you will find anywhere. There may be some really good mastercam users elsewhere too but the ones like us who are always on forums and trying to not only learn new things but help others are typically some of the most knowledgeable because we love what we do and love learning new things. If you have a passion for what you do you will do well at it, many of us like to visit to both see if we can learn something that we dont know yet about machining or mastercam and at the same time coming to help others. Lots of us on here love this stuff and like to see new challenges and questions from around the world. 

I think anyone who has a passion for anything will do well at that specific thing, and only people that have that passion are places like this, people without don't take the time or effort to join or participate in forums like these.

great questions heavy metal, glad you are here

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think is  correct .   5axis or Greg created the ends of the toolbody by extruding the 1/2 circles .  I created  the toolbody  ends with solid fillet .875 r .

When you compare the two slots at the bottom it looks longer end to end  using the half circle method ..  I'm not sure which way is correct .

What is your guys opinion .  

2 DIFFERENT RADIALLY CUT SLOTS COMPARED mcam.mcam

3 hours ago, HEAVY METAL said:

What do you guys think is  correct .   5axis or Greg created the ends of the toolbody by extruding the 1/2 circles .  I created  the toolbody  ends with solid fillet .875 r .

When you compare the two slots at the bottom it looks longer end to end  using the half circle method ..  I'm not sure which way is correct .

What is your guys opinion .  

2 DIFFERENT RADIALLY CUT SLOTS COMPARED mcam.mcam

I think the way I did it is correct because I followed the print and the circles have to be at the start and ends of the slot. I was worried doing it with fillets would be off and you just confirmed my thoughts. It you looked at my solids you will notice how they don't overlap correctly on top, but do on the side which what you need and makes it machinable. 

• Like 1