Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why does mastercam work in reverse?

Cavi Mike

Instead of only cutting what I've selected for it to cut, it cuts everything except for what I've told it not to cut. This is very time consuming trying to draw all sorts of avoidance boundaries. I really don't understand why it's like this. I'm only on 2018 and I don't see this shop updating in the foreseeable future - so maybe this is something that has been fixed in subsequent releases? But if it isn't, it really should be.

1.png

2.png

If I can give you some free advice it is to not fight the software. Find out the proper techniques to achieve your project, in a lot of cases there maybe be many ways to solve the problem.

Posting a Mastercam file that you are struggling with is the best way to get suggestions. Ron who posted above is one of the best guys in the industry and is always helping others here, two thumbs up for those that do this!!

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Cavi Mike said:

Instead of only cutting what I've selected for it to cut, it cuts everything except for what I've told it not to cut. This is very time consuming trying to draw all sorts of avoidance boundaries. I really don't understand why it's like this. I'm only on 2018 and I don't see this shop updating in the foreseeable future - so maybe this is something that has been fixed in subsequent releases? But if it isn't, it really should be.

1.png

2.png

What kind of operation this is? Looks like your machining region is being automatically defined, maybe an area mill path? Dynamic mill is probably a better choice, since you have many depth cuts.In any case if you define your machining regions or containment regions as the case may be then you should be ok.

There's so much happening here...

First off, go get yourself some basic training, kind of obvious you've had none....

Secondly, Get used to boundaries and check surfaces. These of to help give you the best toolpath.

Third, Lose to notion that the software is backwards. The software is simply the software and wants you to interact with it in certain ways. If you fight the software, and I say this really only half kidding, you're going to have an awful time. You need to learn how to use it.

In all seriousness though, training should be your first move, not a book or an online course, actually training sitting in front of a teacher that can work with you and help you get to the solution. Books and online courses cannot do that, it simply shows you how to parrot what they do...it does not teach you.

JM2C YMMV

• Like 6
On 12/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, Cavi Mike said:

If you are using something like Optirough or Area Mill, they assume you are machining out of a rectangular block based on the X/Y extents of your selected geometry, unless you define a tool containment boundary or your job is just a cavity.

If you didn't kow this then I would also suggest attending a 3D design/milling training course (but I'd advise a 2D course first if you have no prior training in Mastercam)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Cavi Mike said:

Ahh, the good ole' MC community - it's never the software, it's always the user. Right. Just stacks and stacks of excuses from you people why your software is sub-par.

Ahh, good ol user with his head in his arse spouting off at the head

and to think, this is the kinder, gentler me

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
48 minutes ago, Cavi Mike said:

Ahh, the good ole' MC community - it's never the software, it's always the user. Right. Just stacks and stacks of excuses from you people why your software is sub-par.

She ain't perfect, not by a long shot. That said, formal training goes a LONG way and it appears you need some. There's no shame in admitting that... at least there shouldn't be.

Now back to the matter at hand; you showed up, posted some pictures, complained and then to top it all off, you didn't ask for any help. So yeah, you're going to get lit up, and frankly, you deserve it. If you want help, ask for it. If you want to complain, better go get yourself a nomex suit because it's about to get a little toasty. 

JM2CFWIW

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

that toolpath you have there is really easy to control, without creating any extra stuff, if you really want help we can help you we just need more info, if you are here only to complain then don't waist my time providing a file but if you really want help can you share a file and i am sure we can get you an answer on how to get that to work better. 

Happy to help if you want any, just let me know which area specifically you want to cut or avoid cutting and if you can give the file i am sure we ill find the problem. But you might just be venting since it sounds like you might not have a great understanding of how to control that toolpath so thats fine.

5 hours ago, Cavi Mike said:

Bad carpenter blames their tools. Feeble attempts at rubbing others nose it.... well that's a whole other ball of wax.

gooday, sir.

14 hours ago, Cavi Mike said:

Adapting to a new CAM software isn't always easy, but when I came from Esprit to Mastercam, I learned that fighting it only made it harder.  Software isn't going to adapt.  That's your job.

16 hours ago, Cavi Mike said:

Maybe try reading the very first reply, you know the one directly after your OP?

And in this case it IS the user.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:01 PM, Cavi Mike said:

1.png

2.png

What Toolpath are you using to rough that part? Are you using 2D Highspeed, or 3D Optirough? Both paths are very similar, but the 2D path requires lots of chains, while the 3D path only requires a single chain, which defines the top Z plane and profile shape of the material.

The only boundary needed for the 3D paths is that "stock" chain. 

When you are selecting surfaces or solid faces, you do this in a "geometry group", and can make multiple "cut groups", each with their own 'stock to leave' setting. Same applies to the Check Surfaces. These are surfaces you don't want Mastercam to cut, and you can adjust the stock setting for each individual group.

• 3 weeks later...