Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No more entity selection for drill in 2020?

Leon82

14 minutes ago, JParis said:

It's easier to pick entities(my preferred method) if turning off solid edge selection...

I HATE the additional step but the GODS in Toland are appointing it so..

I am not a fan of dumbing it down for the "Gameboy" crowd..sorry, just how I feel

hey thats offensive to us that grew up on game boys. My generation we all had gameboys as kids and just look how great i turned out, well maybe not me, but some of us turned out pretty ok...

1.jpg

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Leon82 said:

It seems you have to turn off the solid to pic the actual entity

I just use the filters on the right side of the screen

The bottom right of each filter is "Only" … so if you click "only arcs" you can select wireframe arcs to define your holes

or "only points" and pick points without fear of getting the endpoint of a solid arc  by accident

• Like 1
On 12/31/2019 at 12:05 PM, JParis said:

It's easier to pick entities(my preferred method) if turning off solid edge selection...

I HATE the additional step but the GODS in Toland are appointing it so..

I am not a fan of dumbing it down for the "Gameboy" crowd..sorry, just how I feel

image.png.7c09ac1378c5d6764db92f989f9002ae.png

Seriously, what's the problem with the new selection method?

We replaced it because I was sick of accidentally creating a random point in space at some random Z depth and then having to go through three menus to undo that new random point you created.  How often have you made a drill cycle ALLLLLlllmmmosst on center of an arc, but not quite? :)   And even if you got it right, you still had to manage it in a different window with different rules.

Previously, after launching a drill cycle, you either had to hit the "Entities" button to restrict it to real geometry (1 click), or go through the parameters page of the 5 axis drill toolpath to choose your entity type ahead of time (1 click to get the Cut Pattern page, 1 click to select the type, 1 click to enter selection, 1 click to choose "Entities" to restrict it to real geometry). 

Now, from the time you launch a drill toolpath, you're only selecting real geometry, so in the event you only want one type you're still only 1 click away from restricting it exactly how you want to.  Or, of course, you can hold down Ctrl+Click to only choose matching solid features (or Ctrl+Shift+click to select matching solid features on the same vector as your initial selection) then you get all the benefits of working off the solid directly (knowing diameter, depths, and vectors of the hole).

Worst case is no extra work, best case is less work with no random points.  I've had a lot of meetings with customers & resellers about it and I have yet to see a single scenario where the old way is faster, more predictable, or more reliable, but I'm always open to seeing what I missed.

14 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

I've had a lot of meetings with customers & resellers about it and I have yet to see a single scenario where the old way is faster, more predictable, or more reliable, but I'm always open to seeing what I missed.

I miss the drag and drop ability of the points in the old dialog.

I miss the ability of expanding the drill point box to more than 8 points.

Not having to toggle the Solids selection on and off as much.

On those three points much faster than the new way. 🤨

Forgot to ask this customer. 😉

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Having to constantly turned off solid edge selection in almost everything besides just drilling...over the last few versions it has become nearly impossible to select wireframe when it lies on the edge of the solid, and when it is on a solid face....you have to either unshade or just turn off the level that the solid is on...

The last few versions have in my workflow created a monster amount of extra clicks...and if it seems like I am becoming rather frustrated with it, well, yes, I am.

Seriously, I'm a fanboi....I admit it but I am getting close to just going back to X9 and calling it a day

5 minutes ago, JParis said:

Having to constantly turned off solid edge selection in almost everything besides just drilling...over the last few versions it has become nearly impossible to select wireframe when it lies on the edge of the solid, and when it is on a solid face....you have to either unshade or just turn off the level that the solid is on...

The last few versions have in my workflow created a monster amount of extra clicks...and if it seems like I am becoming rather frustrated with it, well, yes, I am.

try the "only wireframe" filter..

only wireframe.jpg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JParis said:

Tom, I know it's there...it is yet though, another click...

yes.. but it is a much better solution that turning off solid selection or hiding/turn off the solid

and you can make the  "Only" mask stick so you don't have to click it every time

maintaion only mask.jpg

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, JParis said:

Tom, I know it's there...it is yet though, another click...

Right, it's a click to limit your selection, but that's the same number of clicks you go through to limit your selection in X9, and this one is at least a standard selection like you'd use otherwhere in the software, not a random box in a dialog that only appears in that situation..  I can understand that it's annoying to change a 20+ year learned behavior, though, that took me a bit to get used to!   For me, it was always Launch drill > immediately click "entities."   Unless I thought I wanted to maybe use something else in which case, forget that I can click anywhere accidentally choose a random point in space, swear, ESC, ESC, ESC and start over...

43 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I miss the drag and drop ability of the points in the old dialog.

I miss the ability of expanding the drill point box to more than 8 points.

Not having to toggle the Solids selection on and off as much.

On those three points much faster than the new way. 🤨

Forgot to ask this customer. 😉

You know my number and email address Ron, I'd never forget you :)

You've got me on those points for 2020, as drag & drop and display list size were my biggest problems with new interface.. 

I know it's cliche, but give 2021 a test drive.

UX has finally given us drag & drop and a much better window size.

The systems team has also made some pretty massive solids interactions improvements in the back-end which drastically reduce the solids interaction time, whether processing a toolpath that references solids or launching the hole selection panel, so there will hopefully be a lot less reasons for you to select wireframe at all, and you should notice a nice reduction in overall toolpath generation time as there was some overhead there when interacting with solids.  I'm finding a lot of toolpaths that I previously would create surfaces > from solids in order to reduce calculation time don't require that step anymore.   Note that this is only really noticeable when dealing with the bigger, complex solids like you guys do... A simple one really won't really yield any difference.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

, so there will hopefully be a lot less reasons for you to select wireframe at all

One are where solid selection has given me inconsistent results is when I later needed to import operations with geometry.

Think about this for a second though....I now have to jump through UI hoops to simply select an arc....

I agree! I think the selection has taken a step backwards. They can try and rationalize it all they want, to the every day user it has become tedious to select things. I love most of the new stuff, like tagging the arc with a diameter, but selecting is frustrating.