Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No more entity selection for drill in 2020?

Leon82

2 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

Here's a weird one

When I chain something it turns other unselected entities white all over the part making it hard to highlight what you have done.

Happens to my coworkers computer more. They are not touching. Even different levels on the part

This is a bug...there's a quick update arriving soon

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

We replaced it because I was sick of accidentally creating a random point in space at some random Z depth and then having to go through three menus to undo that new random point you created.  How often have you made a drill cycle ALLLLLlllmmmosst on center of an arc, but not quite? :)   And even if you got it right, you still had to manage it in a different window with different rules.

Ahh if only it were quick and easy to delete a point that you selected. And yes it's still very much possible to select the non-center of an arc when you're going for the side of a solid hole. I've done it and scrapped a part because of that.

And when are we getting better window functionality for 2020? That tiny window is only "draggable" for like 3 more holes and doesn't remember size/position. You can't tell me this is the final version.

Yes the old way was FAR better, while I have adjusted to this way mostly, it was still much faster the old way as I made you guys quite aware of that on the official forum when the change was made. 😆

I'm still waiting for a version that's as stable and as quick to use as X9 so I can update...  I've been paying maintenance, but I haven't seen anything offered in the new versions that's worth stepping away from X9.  That 25 years of learned muscle memory is a huge deal for me.  Take an experienced pro motorcycle racer and put him on a bike with backwards steering and the throttle on the left.  Tell him it's better, see how he reacts.

If you want to introduce new OPTIONAL ways of doing things, that's fine, but at least give us the respect of having the option to keep doing it the way we've been doing it for 25 years.  Please.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I'm still waiting for a version that's as stable and as quick to use as X9 so I can update...  I've been paying maintenance, but I haven't seen anything offered in the new versions that's worth stepping away from X9.  That 25 years of learned muscle memory is a huge deal for me.  Take an experienced pro motorcycle racer and put him on a bike with backwards steering and the throttle on the left.  Tell him it's better, see how he reacts.

If you want to introduce new OPTIONAL ways of doing things, that's fine, but at least give us the respect of having the option to keep doing it the way we've been doing it for 25 years.  Please.

The dynamic motion is better.

But you can populate the quick access toolbar like x9 and set it below the ribbon..

The tab changes when you click geometry or solids now.

It has good intentions but can be annoying

15 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

But you can populate the quick access toolbar like x9 and set it below the ribbon..

I use keystrokes through the dropdown menus; it's probably about 3X faster than clicking icons.  The only icons I use are for functions that can't readily be accessed that way.

Aside from having to hit <Alt> first, my usage in X9 is almost identical to what it was in V5-V9, with the addition of the newer features.  Going to 20XX would require a complete unlearning and relearning of habits, at which point it would be about as easy to learn another software.  If they only let me customize the access keys I could be about as fast in 20XX, but I've been told the UI team won't even entertain the thought.

20 hours ago, Leon82 said:

The Tool tabs that you get in 2020 upon selecting entities can be turned off if you right click, customize ribbon, go to Tool Tabs on the righthand dropdown, and unselect the Wireframe Selection, Surfaces Selection, Solids Selection, Mesh Selection, and Geometry Selection tools checkboxes. I like to customize them to add/focus them to commands I commonly use when working through multiple actions/commands on a single select set, and I find it saves me time, but for those who don't like or expect the ribbon to change when working in "Object->Action" flow, you might want to turn them off.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Leon82 said:

Now the trim function has been divided into 3 separate buttons.

To point, extend🤔

You're late to the game on that one......been howling about that for some time...several people have....dead ears....."too hard to train".....

I still find myself having to back out of the function because memory muscle says it's still in there...dumb move IMNSHO

5 minutes ago, JParis said:

You're late to the game on that one......been howling about that for some time...several people have....dead ears....."too hard to train".....

I still find myself having to back out of the function because memory muscle says it's still in there...dumb move IMNSHO

We seem to skip the odd years for updates

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

I mapped those 2 functions to my scroll wheel

Push left  = trim

Push right = extend

It's no where near as good as it was before they "fixed it", but it's better than going back and forth between icons all day.

When I'm doing lathe work I access those 2 functions a thousand times a day and using them now is like having a rock in my shoe.

Grrrrr… :rant:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gcode said:

I mapped those 2 functions to my scroll wheel

Push left  = trim

Push right = extend

It's no where near as good as it was before they "fixed it", but it's better than going back and forth between icons all day.

When I'm doing lathe work I access those 2 functions a thousand times a day and using them now is like having a rock in my shoe.

Grrrrr… :rant:

I did put an enhancement request in (around X7 days?) which asked for Trim/Divide to be separated as it's own icon.

I don't know what the new split function looks like, but I miss being blamed for everything nowadays, so feel free to blame me on this... :D

1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I did put an enhancement request in (around X7 days?) which asked for Trim/Divide to be separated as it's own icon.

I don't know what the new split function looks like, but I miss being blamed for everything nowadays, so feel free to blame me on this... :D

There's no reason it can't be both