Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fixture design. Not MC related

JB7280

37 minutes ago, content creator said:

Esprit sounds interesting, and yeah mc grows on you, I first learned mc in school back in 2008 been using it on and off since then, but there is sooo much to learn most of the users on here are eons ahead of me :D

From what I understand, Esprit excels in Multiaxis, and Millturn programming.  But I've never done any of that.  Once I left the shop I stopped paying attention to it because I'm not nearly smart enough to learn everything, ahah.

8 hours ago, content creator said:

but there is sooo much to learn most of the users on here are eons ahead of me

Perhaps it could've been me not paying attention in the past, but I think you've recently (last few months?) become a more active member of the forum, both here and OT. I've been using MC since 2002 and that was WAY before we even had an OT forum at eMC...but I always read your posts at eMC with interest. I appreciate and enjoy your forum contributions.  :thumbsup:

Different users have different workflows with MC. There's something that we can all learn from each other regardless of how much seat time we've had.

6 minutes ago, Thad said:

Perhaps it could've been me not paying attention in the past, but I think you've recently (last few months?) become a more active member of the forum, both here and OT. I've been using MC since 2002 and that was WAY before we even had an OT forum at eMC...but I always read your posts at eMC with interest. I appreciate and enjoy your forum contributions.  :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy!! Yes , I am very new to the forum I,ve been a member maybe a year or so!!Its the best. I,ve been coming out of my shell a bit more lately, probably why it seems like I just joined up.

Tbh I find the level of experience you guys have a bit intimidating, especially at first.

8 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Ohhhh,,, you should have been around in the Halcyon days in the mid 2000s.

I t was awesome but on steroids :D

Wish I was, I was just a teenager then tho!!

1 hour ago, CADCAM3D5AXIS said:

Yup Good Times Were Had By All , Even The One With No Name .:wallbash:    Hi Newbeee  

One day u will will all have to explain who this he who must not be named is.

For the last 15 years or so I've done all of my design work in a CAD package. 10 years w/ CATIA and about 5 with AD Inventor. It's not that Mastercam is not capable because 10 years prior to that I did all my CAD work in Mastercam, SurfCAM, SmartCAM, or EdgeCAM... depended on what CAM software was where I was working. MC's problem for me these days is it's lack of constraints. I do more design work now that I ever have. Customers wanting several options to choose from when deciding on a process. Doing all that work in Mastercam is MUCH more cumbersome. 

All that said, if on the rare occasion that I only have 1 operation and I need to model the part from a drawing, then I will sometimes model the part in Mastercam. I've found over the years at the part level, modeling in Mastercam is pretty simple. When it comes to assemblies and assembly modifications, that  is where it begins to become too cumbersome and a true CAD package is the stronger option. 

JM2CFWIW

Ahhhhh the early days of eMC.... GREAT times. Dave Thompson, Chris Bulllines, Rekd, and those that are no longer with us (that are listed in the Memorial section here), etc...

• Like 4

I can see that with assemblies and what not. I'm not a designer, if I'm designing something it's cuz someone didn't do their job(which is most of the time) and I only really know mastercam, I have been thinking of learning more about catia, but these days I have too much on my plate.

3 hours ago, content creator said:

I can see that with assemblies and what not. I'm not a designer, if I'm designing something it's cuz someone didn't do their job(which is most of the time) and I only really know mastercam, I have been thinking of learning more about catia, but these days I have too much on my plate.

Use and master whatever tools you have available. Mastercam will serve you well for the most part.

To be frank, I've never seen a part I could not model in Mastercam, and I've modeled everything from airplane fuselage skins based on point cloud data (that I had to enter manually), up to impeller blades and just about everything in between. I've even surface modeled things you can't build a solid from scratch for. It was only after a "watertight" surface model was built that I could stitch it into a solid. I can't share what it was, whom it was for, nor the industry, but it was definitely one of the coolest projects I've been part of, and it was done in Mastercam X.

IOW... Run whatcha brung. :) 

• Like 1