Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Robot Multiaxis

MGF

Hello!

A while back I posted a case where I got into a problem. Below I attach a picture of how the MasterCAM tool generates paths.

image.png.bec94fe502c0da4ff1ae62c9bc76ce2b.png

Our wish is that the tool path would look as shown below ( without those jumps - the yellow lines in the picture above).

image.png.d3144ab865c1583f20ec7c31a9298e06.png

One of the conditions is that the tool is always positioned perpendicular to the surface.

Does anyone know how to do this in MasterCAM? I am also attaching a MasterCAM model.

Best Regards.

MGF.

surface_test.mcam

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently using: Toolpaths -> Multiaxis -> Multisurface -> 5 Axis

Across stepover: 2.0 mm

Along stepover: 2.0 mm

Cutting method: ZigZag

Tool axis control: Pattern surfaces

Output format: 5 axis

Tool Info: Ball-Nose -> Diameter 2.0

Maybe one more question: Can I merge these partial surfaces into one in the MasterCam?

Best Regards.

MGF.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

We do not have much experience with this which strategy would produce better results.  Which strategy do you think would be then more appropriate?

In our opinion, it is definitely necessary to choose Multiaxis option for such part geometry - are we thinking right?

Thanks for help.

Best Regards.

MGF.

Hello!

Thanks for your response and help.

This is exactly what we needed. I only wonder if you can briefly describe how you created a cleaner and simpler 'pattern surfaces'. I tried it myself, but it does not work.

Best Regards.

MGF.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:09 AM, MGF said:

One of the conditions is that the tool is always positioned perpendicular to the surface.

One thing experienced people aren't aware of is the functioning behind having three sections in the tool plane GUI.

image.thumb.png.9e927aa5063c4ae041e02b0f9a1846e8.png

you can have different coordinate systems between 'tool plane' and 'comp'. and it will effect the direction that the toolpaths run along the surfaces. Or said another way ; the orientation that the calculations are looking at the part.

I'm not putting lots of time into this explanation, and others could describe it better. Just pointing out it exists.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Maybe someone knows why if I do a surface projection (left picture) and then based on that projection I would like to generate a new surface (right picture) I don't get the same surface as the original. See the pictures below .

image.png.24fe0906e9e062a51229032dc12fab14.png        image.png.1338559f4b46cc12d98a53cbedadfdbd.png

Thanks for help and best regards.

MGF.

9 hours ago, MGF said:

Hello!

Does anyone know what could be the problem. Would be very happy with any help.

Best regards.

MGF

I am not sure why power surface is looking like that but loft worked well, i just broke the shape at the midpoints and lofted a surface from the Red Chain to the Green chain (see image below)

1221.jpg

note, i deleted a bunch of stuff out of this file to make it small enough to upload.

surface_test-lofted.zip