Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't cut taper with waterline

BSmith23

I just posted this on Mastercam Forum, thought I would put it here too.  I am trying to cut an 8' relief taper under a 90.16mm diameter bore.  I am using a 3/4" slot mill with full 3mm radius and 1/2" shank.  No matter what I select, it will only cut straight.it will not post any code that tapers out as the tool goes down.  Anyone have any ideas? Mastercam 2019 file.

Brent

TAPER TEST.ZIP

Just heard back from Curtiss Howard at CNC.  He said that Waterline does not support undercut at all, which I didn't realize.  He also mentioned Surface Contour, which I have plotted through and looks good.  Also, while I was trying to figure this out, I found I could also use 2D Contour, with Depth Cuts, Tapered Walls, and Undercut all checked, and it seems to plot out correctly as well.  But I will probably go with Surface Contour as my first option.

Thanks gcode!

Brent

Flowline, 3d Sweep (or all wireframe 3d paths for that matter) and surface finish contour are the undercutting toolpaths, unless you have multi-axis which supports undercuts accross the board and multiaxis is the most powerful way of accomplishing undercutting (keep in mind multi-axis paths can be set to 3axis mode and can still be used on a 3-axis application).

23 hours ago, BSmith23 said:

No matter what I select, it will only cut straight.it will not post any code that tapers out as the tool goes down.  Anyone have any ideas? Mastercam 2019 file.

Blend is also an very underused undercutting toolpath.

And you can project your geometry (C plane) from a different plane than your tool plane (T plane)