Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Duel Hasps

mold100

I think your only choice at this point, with the separate hasps, is to physically swap them when you want to run the other product. Get yourself a USB hub with extension cable. Plug that into your computer, and have the "hub" handy for easy swapping. Plug in Mill when you want Mill, and swap over when you want Lathe. It is a pain, but would take me all of 30 seconds to kill a session of Mastercam Mill, unplug the Mill Hasp, and plug in the Lathe Hasp, then fire up Mastercam Lathe. (Boot time for me is about 15-20 seconds before I'm able to perform File > Open in Mastercam 2020.)

i would trade them out for a network hasp, there is a fee involved (cant share pricing on these forums but its not unreasonable) but then you can use the network hasp over a network, or it can be used like your current hasps where you can just plug them in and run off a local pc as well, or another benefit is you then can launch Mill with lathe together at the same time, meaning you can 3d mill your lathe parts, like if you wanted to use a live tool on a lathe to 3d mill a radii or something you can easily do that when both mill and lathe licenses are together or like doing a Dynamic Mill toolpath on the face of the lathe part instead of C-axis face contour which is why a lot of Mill turn users have both licenses mill and lathe together so they can do more advanced milling on their lathe. I am not sure if you do much live tooling with your lathes but if you do that may be an good reason to swap out those two single hasps for a network hasp so you can do all of the mentioned above. 

• Like 1

People typically buy a seat of Lathe and Mill on a USB hasp

When they do that they get a discount, because only one user at a time can use the hasp and the software it enables

When you break them out and put them on a nethasp, you have to give the discount back because  2 users can use the software

when it's licensed via nethasp.

We had 3 USB hasps with 3Dmill/ Lathe /Mulitaxis that we broke out and put on a nethasp.

Unwinding the discount came to a pretty good chuck of $$$

Something to consider if you are thinking about breaking up a multilicence USB hasp and putting on a nethasp. 

7 minutes ago, gcode said:

People typically buy a seat of Lathe and Mill on a USB hasp

When they do that they get a discount, because only one user at a time can use the hasp and the software it enables

When you break them out and put them on a nethasp, you have to give the discount back because  2 users can use the software

when it's licensed via nethasp.

We had 3 USB hasps with 3Dmill/ Lathe /Mulitaxis that we broke out and put on a nethasp.

Unwinding the discount came to a pretty good chuck of $$$

Something to consider if you are thinking about breaking up a multilicence USB hasp and putting on a nethasp. 

A discount? LOL, maybe for you guys over there :)

Down here, moving to a NetHasp means getting a visit from Jaws...  cue Cellos... 🤣

30 minutes ago, Mick said:

A discount? LOL, maybe for you guys over there :)

Down here, moving to a NetHasp means getting a visit from Jaws...  cue Cellos... 🤣

you didn't read my post carefully

When you bundle different suites onto a standalone USB hasp you get a discount because it's all on one hasp and is really a single license with multiple components

Only one user at a time can use the USB Hasp

if you break the USB hasp out into a nethasp, they claw the discount back, because what was one USB license, is now 2 or 3 stand alone nethasp  licenses

that can be used simultaneously by multiple users.

… and you are correct

Jaws does come calling .. and you will need a bigger boat  checkbook

56 minutes ago, gcode said:

you didn't read my post carefully

When you bundle different suites onto a standalone USB hasp you get a discount because it's all on one hasp and is really a single license with multiple components

Only one user at a time can use the USB Hasp

if you break the USB hasp out into a nethasp, they claw the discount back, because what was one USB license, is now 2 or 3 stand alone nethasp  licenses

that can be used simultaneously by multiple users.

… and you are correct

Jaws does come calling .. and you will need a bigger boat  checkbook

I did read it correctly.  One might get told there is a discount, when bundling on a USB hasp, but there isn't... in at least this region :)

Jaws does come calling, but some sharks have a bigger bite than the rest of them 😂

On 1/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, JParis said:

Yup.I've seen it done....

1 seat...several users but only 1 license, a nethasp

Funny thing is I just talked to the reseller on Friday and we're gonna switch back to a USB dongle.  Too many times I have to call the IT gods and let them know the license has been kicked out and MC isn't working.

Heaven forbid someone opens MC in another building and leaves for the day 🙁  My programming computer is a laptop, so with a USB dongle I can program offline.  I'm the only user of the software, other than the random engineer that "wants to learn MC"

$80 charge to switch back to USB.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rstewart said:

Funny thing is I just talked to the reseller on Friday and we're gonna switch back to a USB dongle.  Too many times I have to call the IT gods and let them know the license has been kicked out and MC isn't working.

Heaven forbid someone opens MC in another building and leaves for the day 🙁  My programming computer is a laptop, so with a USB dongle I can program offline.  I'm the only user of the software, other than the random engineer that "wants to learn MC"

$80 charge to switch back to USB.

In a case like that, it is quite understandable....take where I work we have as an example

5 - Mill3 - We actually have 6 but a single seat is on a traveling HASP that the manager currently uses

1- Lathe

2 - 5 Axis

1 - Wire

1 - MT

I am the only person that uses all of the licenses, though not at one time...though in the near future that is likely to change

For us, it makes sense to limit the # of licenses and spread them around as needed

Every shop has slightly different needs....it is nice that the flexibility exists

• Like 1